Is racism a common experience for the Asian Australian?

I was out at Queensland months ago and I remember going to a bar that businessmen frequent. I overhead one of them say in disparaging terms that there was a "Chinaman" lurking around. I haven't heard of this term ever used in modern usage, as it's gone almost completely extinct in the US around the 60's. At the time I was deploying under the US Navy and we were making our rounds on several ports.

I did not experience direct racism in Queensland as no one refused me service but this one incident made me question about Australian attitudes on race.

So he was describing a guy he saw lurking around, how is that racist, would it be racist if he saw an Americanman lurking around? Americans and their obsession with race

China  has  a bad name world  wide not only here  don't forget  the  Hong kongers  can't  stand them either

If you want racism have a look at Burma. 

• arther

I moved as i felt racial discriminated against as I couldn't read the writing on any of the shops and the city began to stink the place is now full of Asians very few Australians live there now in the 70's there wasn't any Asians there.

Too many Asians every where notice rubbish everywhere in every suburb thats full of Asians.

Yes white people experience it all the time.

Yes.  in many ways Asians are actually the MOST discriminated race in Western country.  It's the ugly truth very few people like to talk about.

Yes. Not only Asians but also South Asians like Indians, Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis. Aussies don't consider non-whites as humans. It's because Aussies are a descendants of criminals, then what can you expect from such dirty bogans. 

Aussies physically assault Indians too. Simply these Aussies don't have any manners at all.

• arther

No you lot don't speak my language and piss in the pool constantly learn what a bin is for.

• I very much suspect you made this story up. Racism went 'almost completely extinct in the US around the 60's'? Yeah whatever dude, if you gonna troll at least put some effort into it.

• Robert4 weeks agoReport

Uh no dude I'm a real Navy sailor. I am on DDG-110 William P Lawrence. Look it up

No, racism against whites is very common.

Australia is being taken over by asians at record pace. The last thing that we want to hear is asians facing racism.

There is a saying : "They cry out in pain as they strike you".   That is what asians do.

Asians have no right to complain about racism when they are taking over the country.

Perhaps they were referring to a left-arm spinner.