Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearXbox · 7 months ago

How to punish my son?

He's 16 and I found him playing an M rated game. I've already sold his Xbox, but how do I really deter him from doing this again?

Edit: For context he bought the Xbox with his own money.

My brother would play GTA, he was under 16, my mum knew what he was playing. Its swaring. Everyone is use to that. And shooting America is use to that. If you are american then you probably have a gun. Thats all I'm saying . I dont know what age you have to be for rated m. Whatever the game was. It was not going to affect your son. It has be proven that games dont affect you,but actually releases steam He has got less reason to be at home. More chance of im to be in danger. And also you dont know what his doing anymore. PS sell his phone in that case because it has the internet. You could have watched him play the game, it may not have been as bad as it said on papper

He's got friends the same age, they share the same interests as friends, so you've achieved nothing. Now he plays the same game at his friends house. If you really want to freak yourself out just ask yourself what do boys have on their cell phones? And then go check, its not pretty.

He bought it with his own money and understands what he's playing. If he's not posing a threat to anyone around him and he is enjoying himself without causing anyone harm then just leave him alone. He bought that with his own money, so technically what you did is theft by taking it and selling it as even though it was in your home, he purchased the console with his own money. My parents have done that thing to me too many times and you should be aware that what you've done is actually illegal.

congratulations, your son will have the mentality of a child for life

• ?

1. Xbox was not yours to sell

2. Are you really that uptight? 

3. Would you rather him do drugs and drink? 

• keerok

Wow! It wasn't yours to sell. IMO, bad move.

You can't deter him from doing it again. He's at that age when he's curious about sex. It's natural, biologically. Taking away his plaything might push him to "other forms of experience". 

Way back in my time we satisfied ourselves with renting videos. Twenty of us boys would lock ourselves into one of our gang's bedroom to watch the juicy parts. One time we got caught by our mate's dad who "happened" to pass by the window. We all froze in shock. The dad however played it cool. He just said, "when you're done, I'd like to watch that movie too" then left.

What to do now? By the way you reacted, I guess you can't play it cool. I suggest asking help from one of the boy's younger uncles, someone close but responsible and open enough to deal with the matter. It's all part of growing up and it's hard to deny him but I also agree that this matter must be taken seriously so that your son won't go too far and make it an obsession.

who pays the computer line? it is your house,your job to see what he does on line is  not the stuff you mention,,you can install a filter over the house lines, ground him for a few weeks,demand he do extra chores around the teepee, extra homework,,no radio no tv,,

To fully answer your question, I must ask first:

Does your son have any fetishes in the realm of BDSM?

I ask this from an earnest longing to help because if your son has a masochism kink, corporal punishment will be more of a reward than a punishment.

If not, I recommend a hardy leather belt or a switch. My parents used it on me, and I turned out alright... mostly hahah lol

he cant do it if you got rid of his xbox so i wouldnt worry about it

What was the game?  What aspect of this was you opposed to?  Was it known to him that you were opposed to it?

Depending on the game, I've let my son play M-rated games as young as 12, but GTA was off the table and I wouldn't buy it for them.  They had to wait until they were able to buy it for themselves.

Is this the first offense or has this happened before?

You've already sold the xbox, so depending on what the rest of this story is, it could be punishment enough, or it could have been overkill.  He's 16, less than a year from being able to buy the games himself.