Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 month ago

If person has bad stuff like diabetic retinopothy will dr. still prescribe glasses?

yep

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's NOT the doctor that actually makes out a prescription for glasses, my friend, but an optometrist.

You CAN still be prescribed glasses, but as Shay correctly points out, this will NOT solve any problem to do with retinopathy.  (I've been receiving laser treatment for more than 35 years now and have had more than a dozen prescriptions for glasses made out during that time.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they might if you need them

• Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Glasses can't actually "fix" the problem but glasses can help compensate for some vision issues.  So - yes - someone with diabetic reinopothy might also have prescription glasses.

I have a brother-in-law who has been diabetic since early teens.  (he is currently in his mid 50's)  He has had issues related to the early stages of diabetic retinopothy.   He has had a few laser procedures done that has repaired some of the issues.  He does wear glasses to help correct some of his other vision issues.  

Every person is different and a doctor will always try to do what is best for each person's situation.  In some cases, glasses might not help whatever vision issues are happening. In most cases, glasses could give some vision for a while longer until whatever disease is happening completely takes over.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Maybe.  Ask the doctor.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.