Can someone help me?

Okay so, I have wanted to be an actress since I was 8 or 9 and I told my mom when I was 13 that I wanted to be a teenage actress and she said it was fine. I'm fifteen and now I have basically read every article on the internet and now I have no idea. So far I have been only in my high schools' musicals/plays. Now I have no idea what to do. It feels as though I'm stuck in a gutter and I'm not moving forward. Can someone (anyone) help me??

Acting involves reacting and interacting with others and so you have to do more then just read about it, so there are several things to look into doing:

* Take acting classes - quality classes from respected instructors.  Voice and dance lessons can be fun too.  Maybe look into a summer theater camp.  If necessary, get a part time job to help pay for the classes.  Most professional actors continue training throughout their career - it's a chance to challenge themselves and an opportunity to do what they love.

* Audition for community theater show.  Often a community theater will do a summer youth production that you could participate in.

* Join or start a drama club at your school and look into competing in forensic speech/drama contests.

* Join other performance groups - choir, band, dance team.

* Have your mother check with local film  schools and ask how they find actors for student films and check those sources.  Check the website of local film commission to see if there are any opportunities there.

* Get together will friends and make your own movies for fun.

* Read plays and scripts of all kinds keeping an eye out for characters you love and monologues you want to develop and perform them for friends and family (and maybe forensic speech competitions)

* Embrace learning all kinds of stuff. You never know when something will come in handy.

Basically for right now focus on learning and growing as an actor and performer.  

If you're thinking about acting professionally as a teen - give up the fantasy that you'll somehow be "discovered". That's not how the industry works. Professional acting is a business.  People invest a lot of money in their projects and they trust that investment to trained and experienced professionals (and that includes kids).  Working professionally as a teen is even more challenging because of the legal restrictions on when and how long teens can work. Most companies prefer to hire adults (18+) to play teens since they don't have the restrictions and they generally have a more professional approach to the job.

Attempting a professional acting career is basically starting and running a business where you are the product being marketed and sold.  Your parents will have to be involved and it will be a HUGE investment of time, effort and money for you and your family with no guarantee that you'll get cast in anything let alone "make it".  So it's not a career path where you just move forward - it's much more of a roller coaster with ups and downs and often times back tracking.  As a teen your parents will have to be the CEO of your career.  Then when you're an adult, it'll be your responsibility to run your career.

That means your parents (and eventually you) have to research and learn the business end of the industry.  Scams and rip offs prey on people who don't understand the realities of the career.  You'll need to understand the casting process (agents, breakdowns, casting directors); legal issues (contracts, work permits, Coogan accounts, unions, taxes); marketing (head shots, resumes, show reels, websites, social media) and networking.  Then you need to set realistic goals and develop a plan.  No one is going to take you by the hand and tell you what to do.  That's one of the challenges of attempting a professional career.

But like I said - for right now just focus on having fun doing non professional work locally.  Enjoy learning the craft of acting.  When you're older and then start to learn more about the business end of things and consider if that really is the right move for you.

Good luck

• Lv 6

Holy crap this was a good answer !

• Tina

Talk to someone at your school - either your careers adviser if you have one, your drama teacher - or whoever oganised the musicals and plays you have done.

Ask about training. I'm afraid that 15 is the wrong age for a 'teenage actress'. You would still need a chaperone, but there are plenty of slightly older teenagers - who won't - who still look 15.

Concentrate on getting the right training.

just keep pushing towards your dreams

• Cogito

If you wanted to be an actor, why didn't you get into an acting school when you were 8 or 9?  Millions of kids attend them. Almost every town has at least one acting school which kids attend after school or at weekends.

It's far too late for you now to be a 'teen actor' - the teens you see on TV, on stage and in movies were all training in acting, singing and dancing since they were about 6 years old.

If you want to be a real actor, it's going to take at least seven years of really top-class training and experience before you could consider yourself ready to be signed by an agent and get any real auditions.  

Surely if you really have done all that internet research you'd know what you have to do?

Get into acting, singing and dance classes.  Join a good youth or community theatre and start getting some real experience.  

Study hard at school, so you can get qualified for an 'ordinary' job.  You'll need one. Almost all professional actors will never get more than a few days' paid acting work a year and even that's in small roles, in small productions.  You're going to need a way to earn a living and you can fit in acting, auditions and further training where ever you can.  

The next steps depend on what country you live in.

But basically, you'd need to graduate high school and then try for a place at a top college specialising in drama.  

It's a really hard career choice.  You're going to have to deal with rejection, failure, criticism and ridicule on a daily basis.  And if you're expecting to land roles on TV, in movies and major stage productions, you need to accept that this is highly unlikely.

Only try to be an actor if you'd be happy to carry on acting even if you could look into the future and knew for certain that you'd never get a good role in anything big and would never earn a penny from acting.  Only act if you love acting for itself - not with any dreams of fame and fortune, glamour, red carpets and stuff.  

Good luck!