Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 months ago

Girls at my new dance studio wear tights outside of the leotard!?

At my new ballet studio there are a few girls that wear tights outside of their leotard!

My whole dancing life I've never seen this. Who does that? Like seriously!

What's the point? You're not supposed to do that!

Do you agree with this?

It makes me cringe. It just looks so stupid!

Also, it doesn't help with dancing at all! Not functional!

While it isn’t usually allowed in professional schools except perhaps in partnering classes, many professional dancers do it during rehearsal. The easier it is  to go to the bathroom is true, but the main reason is wearing your tights over your leotard gives you more “bottom coverage.” Especially when partnering. When you wear your leotard over your tights, the leotard can ride up and  turn into a thong if your partner is turning, lifting, or otherwise moving you all around. Since you can't keep pulling your leo down while you're in the middle of dancing without it being totally obvious, it's easiest to just avoid that by wearing it under your tights.

• y

Does it matter? They have their reasons whether you agree with them or not. It's nice to see that you are so tolerant and accepting of those around you. I bet you are one of those that constantly put down others and believe you are better then them. Get over it, you are suppose to be a team, support, prop up, help each other.

• Lôn

Does it matter??

It's so they can pee faster. And they don't get wedgies while dancing. You can care about "looks" and they will care about the practicality of dancing and going to the bathroom easier.

Yaa, it looks really stupid, I agree but I guess different people like different things. You won't see it in professional strict schools but I've seen it in the rehearsals of the royal ballet academy so idk haha