Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 8 months ago

How do you an oil change for beginners? ?

Update:

How do you do an oil change for beginners?**

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

read the owner manual of your vehicle

• 8 months ago

It's not worth the hassle.  By the time you buy the tools, oil etc. you have not saved very much.  Many people have been hurt or killed  because they were under a car supported only by a jack.  NEVER GET UNDER A CAR THAT IS ONLY SUPPORTED BY A JACK.  A mechanic can also spot other problems while your car is up on a rack that you are not likely to see lying on your back.  If you go to Jiffy Lube or some similar place, buy your own quality oil filter.  Some of those places use cheap ones, and the extra few dollars is well spent.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Beginners don't need oil changes. Their oil is fresh.

• 8 months ago

Clean out the drain hole and oil filter area the day before and spray a little penetrating oil alongside the bolt and the seam. Pay attention to the ring on the drain plug bolt and stamp, scratch or write, a small mark when you can. This is a soft metal ring (not just a ring) that hardens after a decade or so and wants to be installed just the same. When loosening the bolt you'll thank heaven for lengthening your socket wrench handle with a longer pipe. Only this way you do not have to hit on the tool hard and damage the threat punching and pulling. Also easier with the engine little warmed up but take care. Draining goes best with the filler cap removed but never operate the engine like that or you paint the wall. Being under the car is dangerous so better ask someone to hand the tools and check. Alone in the dark and hospital far away is never a good idea when you want to jump over yourself! Then you freaking tighten the cleaned drain bolt with the specified torque but when you ever have to tighten without torque wrench just remember that a good mechanic does not hold the stem of the wrench at the end... The amount of oil required with or without changing oil filter is on the engine somewhere and in the service manual but a great trick for changing fluids is to weight or measure what came out. Study the oil filter in its way to be tightened and to know if you need a wrench cap or someting. Oil filters are to be filled for the most part with oil before installing and the rubber seal made little wet from oil inside out. The old oil may hold a clue when it is pitch black or milkshake or has a strong gas smell to it or when you see metal shavings. Cars often have gear oil to refresh also.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

I was hanging out with greek a protected by rubbish.Drugo greek peter agrofitis in guildford nsw qld he even took me to a jimmy reids top feuller house a ex cops racer jimmy ried asked me for a car radio i was going to buy one from the shop and charge him 24 dollars extra .He even took me to a greystanes address where a running on empty man based on .A blind man this bloke asked me to stick my fingers up to see if he was blind i wasdidnt want too.the reason i am saying this they cursed  me, land by sea .

• 8 months ago

You go to a fast lube joint so you don't mess up your car!

Source(s): Mitsubishi aster Tech
  • 8 months ago

Watch a you tube on it, then watch a mechanic do it, then actually do it, then have a root beer float, then check for leaks after your drive home from the soda fountain.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Google your car's model and 'oil change' on Youtube, video after video how to.

• CB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

20 second google search  - you need some gumption to get it done. 

https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-change-your-...

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

look at chrisfix on youtube.  he has some good videos on oil changes for beginners.  and other good tips for taking care of your car.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.