Rear bumper cost - am I being taken for a ride?

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately had someone rear end me in my white 2016 Mazda2 recently and looks like the bumper needs replacing. Had a quote of around £1000 (about $1300).

Is this realistic? It seems incredibly high!

Thanks!

• zipper
    1 year ago

Very! But if you were reared why are they not paying to fix your car?

• 1 year ago

Get another quote and compare - but as others have pointed out, if you were rear-ended their insurance should be paying.

Google '2016 Mazda2 rear bumper' - you can get an unpainted one for less than $100.  If you hunt around you might be able to find a painted one that matches yours - they aren't terribly difficult to install.  Youtube is full of videos of stuff like that.

• 1 year ago

yes it has very high prize

• Bort
    1 year ago

It depends. I was hoping for a photo to evaluate the damage and take a swing at what all might need replaced and repainted. Your question can't be answered accurately without knowing those specific details. 

In general though, and taking a wild guess that the bumper cover and bumper enforcement plate/bracket/frame part is destroyed and needs replaced that cost sounds about right to me. 

Consider in all the costs that bring the estimate to what you were given as the cost of repair:

Labor

the cost of the parts (including shipping)

paint

To replace the reinforcement under the bumper cover and the bumper cover is 'round about 2 to 3 hours of labor. Most body shops charge at least $100/hour labor - average. Replacing it is taking the damaged parts off and putting them back on after they're prepped (sanded, primered, sanded, wet sanded, primered, wet sanded, a few coats of color paint) That's all together 'round about 5 hours of labor. There's $500. 

The cost of the parts with shipping is 'round about $250 bringing the cost to $750 ish. 

Paint for cars isn't cheap. You can get cheap paint but you want quality work right? So you want quality paint. A quart of good quality paint for cars can be up to a few hundred dollars depending on the color and some paint on cars is actually a mixture that includes additives that are also not cheap. Paint alone, not including the labor of spraying several coats of paint on it, brings your bill to around $1000 USD. 

$1300 isn't an outrageous estimate. In my opinion it's probably pretty fair without even knowing the exact specifics of what exactly needs replaced and repainted. For that car they might have to paint and blend the paint on to the rear fenders and trunk lid which is more paint, and more labor. 

Sounds fair to me, Sir.

• 1 year ago

Unfortunately, in this day and age, that's "normal". Ever since the various Federal Governments in various countries put a gun to the heads of the public and forced them to carry insurance of some sort on their cars and trucks, the great rip off has been getting worse with each passing year. They also did away with the V5 bumper rating (Ronald Reagan did this back in the 1980's in the US) so too many cars and trucks don't have anything that even resembles a bumper that used to cost $500 parts and labor to replace, on average. I remember when the car bumper was such a tough hunk of metal that the car jack actually hooked into or under the bumper and that's how you would lift the vehicle to change a tire. 

• 1 year ago

sounds about right, but if he rear ended you he should be paying

• 1 year ago

It may cost more when they take it apart and see more damage. You need to read the itemized work order. You pay for parts, but also installing the parts and any other reconditioning will come at a labor charge. The bumper needs to be painted after installation.  Drove into the back of your wife's car again, did you?

• lj1
    1 year ago

That sounds like a reasonable price to replace a bumper. However, you should get at least one or two other quotes from reputable body shops. 

1 year ago

Much less than I would have expected;  I got a not-too-big bump on a Chrysler rear bumper a few years ago and it was about $3400 including part, painting, labor.

• 1 year ago

I'm surprised it is that inexpensive.