Long block or short block?

I'm looking to get a built motor in my 350z. I have found options of built short and long blocks. I am only looking to run about 400rwhp at about 9 psi. Should I get a short or long block and what is the difference?

• Bort

If you want the engine entirely built and just put in, which will be cheaper, you want a long block. That's what the term long block means. The term Short Block is the engine block, crank, and pistons only. The short block does not have cylindar heads, an intake manifold, an alternator or any other parts. The engine is not built nor does it come with any of the parts other than the crank and pistons.

A short block is likely to be much more expensive than a long block because of the labor involved. A long block can just be put right in because everything is there. Maybe 2 hours maximum labor charges.

A short block is going to be quite a bit more labor putting all of the parts on it which could add up to maybe 40 or more hours depending on what you want on it. You can customize and put whatever you want on a short block. So that's another factor to lean toward getting a long block if you don't know much about engines.

The long block is cheaper, faster (getting the work done wise), and a heck of a lot easier for the mechanic putting the car together.

Long Block is essentially the complete motor.  Short block is all of the motor except for the cylinder heads.  You either have a set laying around or not .  So chances are you need the whole Shebang.

Get the long block. A short block wont be complete, and you'll be using parts from the old engine, which may or may not be worn out. 

• Michael4 months agoReport

Love the name!

If you don't know the difference you should not be doing any of this work yourself.

• Michael4 months agoReport

Never said I was doing the work myself. Just needed to know what to order

If I had the money, I would buy a long block. it will have all new and rebuilt parts and will be mostly assembled.

Short or long block has nothing to do with the performance, it is a term used to describe what components you get.   A short block package typically includes the engine block, crank and pistons only. It is called a short block because it has a shorter list of components. A long block engine has all the parts of the short block package plus the cylinder head, camshaft and valve-train.  Which you get therefore depends on how much you want to do yourself.

• Ron

https://www.autolist.com/guides/short-block-vs-lon...

You found options of both but still don't know the difference

i would ask a mechanic about it