Dagno asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 3 weeks ago

Why do so many people think humanity is a race when it's a species? Races are divisions within our species.?

In my last question, I asked a theoretical question on what the world would be like if all humans were one race. I got a bunch of useless answers from people who said that we already are one race. Humanity is obviously a species, not a race. Races are caucasians, negroids, and mongoloids. It's not like all humans are the same. If we were one race, there would be no African people, Asian people, etc. because we would all be the same, right? Racism wouldn't be a thing. Races are subdivisions within the human species. 

Why do so many people not know the definition of "race"? My previous question: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200... 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Will
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Because they're ignorant idiots who likely follow a religion. Instead of saying one race, you should have just said humans were a straightforward species of animal, like the great white shark. Unlike the grey wolf, which has numerous subspecies, the great white shark is all there is, no subspecies. 

• 3 weeks ago

so many Idiots i get called a Racist because i hate Muslims they are a cult not a Tace

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

maybe cause thats what everyone is telling them

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Humanity is a species, but Homo Sapiens Sapiens is the only race that's left of it. Denisovans and Neanderthals are extinct.

"caucasians, negroids, and mongoloids" was a "useful" hypothesis to justify using blacks as slaves, but after WW2 it was proven to be bollocks. We are 99.4 % the same genetically, and our parents were not purposebred

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

"Race" is an artificial concept that has no basis in biology.

Noting differences between "races" is no more meaningful than noting differences between families.

• ...Show all comments
    • skeptik
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The variations between different families within the same "race" are no different in type or magnitude than the variations between different "races."

The concept is artificial and has no real basis is biology.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.