Can a DVD record AND play discs?

I've only ever had a VCR which can record AND play. Not very tech savvy, I wanted to know if a VCR can record and play, or is a DVR required separately?

DVD players cannot record. 

There are DVD recorders, 

but you might not like the difficulty of finding one that won't cost a fortune. 

Also, blank discs must be chosen with considerable care

because "computer" DVDs won't work in a standalone DVD recorder. 

I own two Sony RDR-GX7s and an RDR-GX315.  

These models are from the early and mid-2000s. 

I had problems finding discs that would work back then, 

and it's more difficult now.  

Another trouble spot is copy protection on programs. 

Sometimes you can think all is well 

and you'll have a nice disc of some important show,

only to find out when trying to play it that you Don't have it. 

There is no warning, no apology for wasting a disc, 

and no recourse available when it doesn't work.  

Some programs can't be recorded on a DVR, either, 

because they are "flagged".

Based on my personal experience, 

I recommend Not trying to record anything on TV any more. 

Either watch the program when it is on or do without. 

Since so much programming is available on demand anyway, 

that is generally the best option for seeing it after the fact. 

Yes, they are called DVD-R's  You will need compatable disks, some disks are record ONCE and others can be erased and reused, but not as many times a VHS tape. They are still around.

DVD recorders used to be common. They recorded and played DVD's. They're pretty hard to find nowadays. There used to be models that would dub record off VHS tape and even combined DVD and VHS machines in one console. They would not copy guarded material though. DVR's are different in that they contain a hard drive to hold their recording- not dvd or tape.

I'll add a little depth to what's already been written here.

I've two units here that will both play and write to an optical disc (one is actually a BluRay unit).

Most DVD recording players (which is already a minority) will not record from an external source.  They are pretty much useless for recording other than short non-copy protected material.  Often the recorded material can only be played back on the machine it was recorded on, and the "on the fly" compression of the recording means that will get less than an hour of video on a recordable DVD.  

If you want to record TV, then get a DVR that records to its own hard drive, it's a much better option!

I have seen some home DVD players that can burn DVDs, but those really aren't common. You would also need to buy blank DVDs and they can only be burned once unless you have rewritables and that the player supports them.

It would probably be easier to use a DVR from your TV provider instead of having to mess around with DVD players that may not be very easy to find.

A cheap player can't, a more expensive rewriter DVD player can. You have to check if it writes DVDs and don't buy it if they don't know.