can I use my dishwasher when I have no hot water.?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

This is easy to answer. Look at which pipe it's hooked to. If it's on the cold water pipe, it will heat the water itself. If it's on the hot water pipe, you will need to let the water heater catch up with your hot water needs. The connection is usually under the kitchen sink.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks ago

What do you mean? You have too perfectly useful dishwashers. Your left hand, and your right! haha!

• art
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

yes you can - the dishwasher is usually only hooked up to the cold water pipe, it has a heating element to heat up the water itself

• 4 weeks ago

Yes because the dishwasher makes water hot itself

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I think most DO heat there own water.  If it's got a "sanitary" cycle or a "no heat option, it does.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Many dishwashers have their own heating element to bring water up to what they want , for normal operation. They are normally hooked up to the hot water side of the plumbing though. So is it that you have water but it is not hot, or has the hot water been shut off becouse they are working or replacing the heater for the hot water.  If the water out of the hot water tap is still flowing, then yes. If that side has been shut off, then no.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes it will work.

• 4 weeks ago

in theory, yes. it will take the dishwasher a long time to heat the water, but it should do so ... just making the run time longer

• ron h
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

won't tqke long to heat a gallon of water.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It's not going to do a good job washing your dishes with only cold water so heat up some water on the stove not to the point of boiling but to the point where you can barely touch it.

Fill the pan at the bottom of your dishwasher with the hot water off of your stove put the dish soap straight into that water and then turn your dishwasher on. Your dishwasher won't overfill itself as long as you don't overfill it. That's how you use your dishwasher an emergency

• ron h
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

most, it not ALL d/w heat their own water.  Otherwise most dishes would be washed with cold water. (it takes a minute to get hot water our of the kitchen sink faucet, and DW's don't run the water unitl it come out hot.)

• 4 weeks ago

yes you can and the dishwasher heats its own water 

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

most, it not ALL do have that feature.  Otherwise most dishes would be washed with cold water. (it takes a minute to get hot water our of the kitchen sink faucet, and DW's don't run the water unitl it come out hot.)

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Greasy plates will still be greasy.  Many foods I eat are water based so that is not a problem for me.  But if you cook meats, and gravies and dogshitalamode, then they might not get clean.  Maybe read the dishwashing soap box.? regarding cold water washes.

• ron h
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

most, it not ALL d/w heat water.  Otherwise most dishes would be washed with cold water. (it takes a minute to get hot water our of the kitchen sink faucet, and DW's don't run the water unitl it come out hot.)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.