Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Is 2020 the year of the next devastating pandemic?

This Chinese virus sounds terrifying and experts have warned that such an event is long overdue. The Spanish flu of 1918-20 infected 500 million people (1/3 of the world's population at the time) and killed 50-100 million (3-5% of the world's population).

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I only know one thing. I don't see any Chinese take out for me in the near future.

• 1 month ago

I see that you got your information from the Wikipedia page. If you had read on, you would have seen that a lot of deaths were the result of malnourishment caused by the First World War, along with unhygienic conditions which led to secondary bacterial infections, which then killed.

“... found that the viral infection was no more aggressive than previous influenza strains. Instead, malnourishment, overcrowded medical camps and hospitals, and poor hygiene promoted bacterial superinfection. This superinfection killed most of the victims, typically after a somewhat prolonged death bed.”

Keep washing your hands and you should be fine.

This virus seems to have a death rate of around 2%, far less than the SARS of 2002 which was 10%.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They are making a mountain out of a molehill.  Another case of scaremongering.

• It might be but it's too early to tell, something like this is possible and more probable in a rapidly warming climate in which vector carrying insects migrate into new areas, plus we also have a problem with antibiotics resistance.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What science fiction film is this?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.