I just got over a cold. Now my ear hurts. Just my right ear. It feels like I’m on an airplane. Does ice help with earaches? ?

no, apply a hot water bag to the ear three

times a day

• Speed

You have a blocked Eustachian tube. Ice won't help. Heat may offer a little comfort, but it won't unblock it.

I had two of these back to back a couple years ago. They have you do some stuff for a full month before they give up and have your eardrum pierced and a drainage tube put in by a specialist. (Lucky me, I ended up with tubes twice!) Take the OTC medications Flonase, Claritin, and Sudafed for thirty days, at a dosage that means each drug is in effect 24 hours a day. It may upset your stomach, so take OTC medication to counter that if it does. (Tums helped me.)

For most people, this will open the Eustacian tube, allowing it to drain normally, and voila, you can stop taking all that stuff, hear normally, and not have to listen to your heartbeat when you're lying there waiting for sleep.

• Rick

there's a tiny 'tube' that goes from your inner ear down to the back of your throat, to balance to air pressure in your inner ear. when you have a cold, mucus CAN block that tube & give you an earache ............Ice won't help.