Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with trauma after a car accident? ?

Got into a car accident a few weeks ago- a woman hit me on the highway and my car went straight into another car in front of me. I get headaches and pain down my neck and shoulders. my doc said it's muscle spasms and that I have a bad case of whiplash, but I can’t stop replaying the crash in my mind.

Whenever I drive in traffic or around a curve I think someone's gonna hit me and I'll fly off and die. 

Favorite Answer

You might be having a little PTSD - which is normal.  You can google information on PTSD and car crashes.  You will eventually work through the mental part of the crash.  It might take a long time to do that.  One thing that often helps is to sit back in a comfortable chair at home, and think through every single minute of the crash while trying to relax and control your breathing.  Then think about how your felt, what mistakes you may or may not have made, and why the accident occurred.   End up the thoughts with recognizing that any accident can always be a lot worse and you were lucky to walk away from the crash.   Recognize that the accident was a specific set of circumstances that are not likely to occur again.   And for now, you can just slow down a little on curves and drive in a manner that doesn't cause you stress. 

Talk about it with Family never use I am ok you in most cases are Not Just talking to someone reduces the stress immediately

WRONG FORUM. We can't help you. Go ask in the Psychology or Mental Health forum, or better yet, go see a counselor who specialized in PTSD. That's what a logical and intelligent person would do. 

I had a minor car accident were my fender and bumper were damaged and no airbags deployed and i was still scared to drive for a few weeks after that. But i eventually got over it. Since you accident was a little more severe it might take a little more time then me but be patient.

• Erik

Just give it time.  Our brains need a chance to recover from traumatic events.  Each day that  passes will mean it's one more day behind you.