Ben
Ben asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

Certain grandparents can even be under retirement age, right?

If a couple had a child at 20 that child would be 20 when that couple was just 40. Given that retirement age is 65 that would leave a lot of people potentially becoming grandparents well before retirement. My kids' grandparents on both sides were still working when they were born. In some cultures it's not unusual to become a great grandparent while you're still working age.

• geezer

Yes.

If you had a child when you were 20

and then your child had a child when they were 20

You'd be a grandparent at 40

So .. you could be a great-grandparent at 60

Under retirement age for a man.

Make those ages 18 .. and you could be a grandparent at 36

and a great-grandparent at just 54.

i think thats right

• Tepee

Of course they can, I've known some grandparents who were still in their mid 30's.

• GB

My daughter was born a few days before my 30th birthday. My  mother was 53, and the retirement age at that time was 60 for women.  Nowadays in Britain, there are too many people living too long, and people are having smaller families; many like me selfishly chose to have one or no children. We did not do our 'Duty to the State' by making enough  potential tax-payers, (children).  So  even if  we are starting our families at a later age, there is a high chance  of more grandparents being under retirement age.

quite often that is the case.......

• JuanB

I had a co worker who was a grandmother before she was 35.

People normally have children in their 20's and 30's

People normally retire around 65 years old.

So yes, its common to become a grandparent before retiring. If you have a child at age 25 and they have a child when they turn 25 then you're a grandparent at age 50.

• Robin

most of them are ....................

Of course they can.  If someone has children at age 18, and then they also have children at age 18, that makes the grandparents 36.  It's not the norm in most western countries but it certainly happens.  36 is not that old.