Is there a way to get off of a speeding ticket over the phone with the court?

I got a speeding ticket for 50 in a 45 with no previous incidents of being pulled over and never even got a warning is there a chance I can convince the courthouse to let me off with a warning over the phone? I have college tuition due this coming week and simply can’t afford the ticket or the insurance increase

9 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    NO. It MAY be possible to contest the charge by mail. It isn't possible to contest the charge over the phone.

  • 8 months ago

    It doesn't work like that. You have to go straight to traffic court and deal with the speeding ticket in front of the judge.

  • 8 months ago

    Nope, you can plead not guilty (should be a place on the ticket for that on the back), the court will set a trial date for you, and if you can convince the jury you were not speeding then the ticket is dismissed. But plan on spending a day in court waiting for your case to be heard.

    Of course, when you lose (and you will), you will have court costs added on to the original cost of the ticket.

    You can just ignore the ticket and the court will issue a contempt of court warrant (bench warrant) and you could be arrested and taken to jail, plus your DL license will be suspended. (Then try to get auto insurance) after you apply to get it back, pay another fee.

    And no officer is going to give a warning to anybody traveling 25 to 30 MPH over the speed limit, you are damn lucky he cut you any slack at all. Take the gift and be happy with it

    Plus in your other question, you were doing 70 in a 45. If you take it to court you will have to admit you were doing 70 and the officer will say he gave you a huge break.

    You have cost yourself an extra $150 just by asking for a trial

    Those are your only choices. I would suggest you just pay it and move on, that is the cheapest thing. 

    Do you want your insurance company to know you were doing 70? or would you rather have them think you were only doing 5MPH over the speed limit?

  • 8 months ago

    Not in my town. You must appear personally or through a lawyer.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    Apparently you have memory issues - "... rather he clocked me at 75 (in a 45).

    Which is it?  50 in a 45 OR 75 in a 45?

    Perhaps you simply should have thought about this before driving 30 miles over.  In MY State that's a felony.

  • 8 months ago

    No, you cannot.  You may be able to request defensive driving through the mail, but that will still cost money.  No court is going to just get rid of a ticket entirely because you ask nicely over the phone though.  

  • 8 months ago

    The only two ways to deal with such a ticket are:

    1) Pay the fine before the due date.

    2) There should be a part on the ticket to submit if you wish to fight the ticket in court. On such a ticket, though, your chances of success are essentially zero. The vest you could hope to accomplish is to plead guilty with an explanation, and hope that the court reduces the fine.A moving violation, which is what a speeding ticket is, is not going to be knocked down to zero fine and zero penalty. Try to drive legally so as to not get more such tickets.

  • BB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    A ticket for 50 in a 45 is pretty weenie, IF that is as fast as you were going.

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    The cop probably marked it down to 50 in a 45. How fast were you actually going?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.