Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Could an ocean exist with an atmosphere of 10% that of Earth?

The boiling point of that pressure is 115 degrees F.  Let’s say 20 million square km with an average depth of 8,000 feet and a 8% salt content. The temperature range through the year is 140 degrees to -20 degrees. One day is 30 hours. 

Update:

One year is 250 days. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

So... on average, the ocean would evaporate, increasing the pressure of that atmosphere until it was saturated; it would rain or mist just as much as it would boil or evaporate. Provided there was enough water *in* the ocean, yes - it could exist, until  the water molecules were removed through solar wind. 

• Athena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

For starters, you cold have an earth with an average temperature lower than 115 degrees.

• 1 month ago

No Question

It would Evaporate

• 1 month ago

The lowest temperature is -20 Fahrenheit and the highest is 140 degrees Fahrenheit. I suspect lots of evaporation with the higher temperatures and rain in the temperatures with milder temperatures and the water freezing in the lower temperatures. Yes I likely will remain liquid under these conditions. I think it would resemble a fog all the time because of the evaporation and perception happening more frequently than Earth. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.