Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

Is it embarrassing to look 18 years old at 27?

Well this is something that has me down, depressed and insecure. A lot say you have a girlfriend so why do you care but .. it’s because I feel like I’m being ridiculed.

I’m a 27 year old male and people often guess that I’m only 18 years old. Some reactions are somewhat normal and others the people are shocked and literally laugh 

Am I being stupid for caring? They say it’s a good thing to my face yet they are laughing .. am I dumb to think the laughing means it really is NOT a good thing? 

I’m not ugly. Just a normal looking dude but looking 18 at 27 has become my biggest insecurity that I can’t shake since I’m constantly reminded by the first impressions of other people 

So anyone else that shares my feelings? I feel pretty alone on the issue. Always feeling embarrassed and down about it. Nothing I can do either so just an extremely helpless feeling on top of it all

Favorite Answer

It's generally meant as a compliment to say someone looks younger, but you're thinking of your own insecurities (lack of facial or body hair, slimness, acne, whatever). Everyone has something about their body they're self conscious about. You're self conscious about looking as young as you are, which probably means you have to show ID more than others, some people may talk down to you, and you might not always command the respect an older looking person would. Learn to appreciate the upside -- that you're youthful, that you look healthy, that you can move easily between different age circles, and that when you're 40 and look 30, you'll be riding a high!

You are an IDIOT. WHO CARES how old you look?

I'm on the same boat bu't i enjoy it, except i wish i was shorter to compensate for it. Since i'm homosexual and have a bond with men, they love me for looking youthful which(no offense) is associated with femininity.

• Diana

Just grow a mustache and/or beard and you'll look more mature.  Also, dress a little more formally.  

BTW, you'll be grateful to look young for your age when you're older.  Your friends will envy you, then.  

It's a great deal as far as I'm concerned.

You can be 60 they'll think your 50.

I can see it bothers you, and it won't always bother you, but WHY do you care what some random strangers think? Their opinion is of no consequence to you unless you choose for it to matter.

• Susie

Oh for Pete’s sake. Why are you obsessing about this??  You’ll be thrilled when you’re 50. 

• Nancy

It wasn't embarrassing for Johnny Depp. In fact, it was the basis of his role in the show 21 Jump Street, which, while not his first big role, was the starring role that propelled him into fame and made him a household name.