Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is an appropriate for a man to approach a 12-year-old girl in public who he recognizes?

I am 22 years old and work at a bowling alley.  As I was walking down the street, I recognized a 12-year-old girl who came with her father every Sunday to go bowling. After I walked over to her, a guy out of nowhere started hollering, “You sicko, get away from her!”  But she obviously had no problem with me, because she recognized me as well.  It was just a quick “hi” and “bye” as I planned.  As for the guy who jumped to the wrong conclusions, I paid him no mind, and he didn’t get anyone’s attention, despite his yelling.  Therefore, nobody mobbed me.  Am I in the wrong here?

• mom

if all you where going to do is say hi and bye, then you did nothing wrong and that other guy was in the wrong

• bluebellbkk

Yes, but in that case why bother go over to her? Why not just wave 'Hi' and 'Bye' from where he was?

• Rico

You didn’t do anything wrong.  People misread situations all the time.  

• Cas

You are not wrong, but people think the worst nowadays.

• PAMELA

No, but these days you have to be so careful, i would have just waved but not gone over to her.

i dont think you did anything wrong, he did

As you didn't really 'know' this girl, as a personal friend, but only 'recognised' her, it would have been absolutely fine for you to wave and call, 'Hi!'

But there was no need for you to go over to her. You should do that only if you know her, and she knows you, quite well.

EDIT to add: I should add, I don't think you were 'wrong' to go over. But it was unnecessary in the circumstances.

• Jesere

Sadly people assume and jump to conclusions. You did nothing wrong, you were being friendly to an acquaintance and she reciprocated.

• drip

If she had been with her dad, then it would of been fine to walk over and say hi. 

If she saw you it would of been ok to wave and say hi.

But this guy didn’t know who you were. And you could of been a friend of the family or a teacher.

His reaction was over the top.

It is not appropriate to say hi to 12 year old girls now a days because society is becoming very paranoid.

I guess it's ok, but it's strange you've been watching her with her father.

Yeah its creepy and not appropriate for you to be hollering at a 12 year old. That's below jail bait dawg. You need to go no less than 17 or 16, but 12?

Thats pedophile.

The only sicko here was him. He needs to get his mind out of the gutter.