Is a modular PC feasible?

So I was thinking of how computers could evolve(especially desktops). While laptops might have the advantage of portability they lack in performance because of mobile optimization a rectangle box model for computers hasn't evolved much.

After doing some research on all in one PC's I noticed that the aesthetic leans more towards what I would expect in the future for computers but again; all in ones are limited in performance. 

So I was thinking of separating the line between CPU and GPU with more control over what the buyer needs. My final idea was similar to a desktop but taking from both all in ones and laptops at the same time. 

If would feature 

* part consisting of the main board and CPU which acts as a dock for a screen 

* monitor modules can be added to the dock turning it into a all in one PC without a GPU 

* and the GPU is a separate box that can be easily connected to the main computer

The technology would be modular so that u can add more docks to increase CPU core performance and the GPU module can have modular connection to increase the core count. 

Or just a hub for modules to connect (both CPU and GPU cores) 

Excluding dimensional issues and cooling problems do you think a design like that would catch on in the future 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

    Yes, experiment. .....................

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • David
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    Actually, we are headed for a future where what we know as desktops and laptops won't really exist anymore. Pretty soon, the only computers in common use will be similar to windows 10 touch tablets today.

    CPU already integrates GPU and chipset also, in some cases. Within 20 years probably, computers are going to be manufactured pretty much exactly like cell phones are now. Pretty much everything is in one chip. Other parts like battery, display...just support the one chip. The one chip has the chipset, the CPU, the GPU, the RAM, non-volatile storage (SSD on chip), the one CHIP will have everything in it.

    There will still be a market for some modular features. Meaning, there will be SOME people still building desktop computers. But there won't be modular computers like you are envisioning. 99% of computers will have most vital components in a single chip. The other 1% will still be something like current desktops.

    Just think of a really large tablet computer running windows of some kind, where almost all of the vital components are in -one chip- inside that tablet. That's where the bulk of PCs are headed....

    And not surprisingly, AMD has a huge head-start on Intel, as far as the future of personal computers goes. Their APUs are the first step toward the PC of the future, already integrating CPU, GPU and much of the chipset. Next generation APUs (probably by AMD, not Intel) will add RAM and non-volatile memory to the chip, leaving not much else needed to build a fully functional PC. Just a power supply or battery and a touch panel...DONE!!!!

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

    you basically just discribed a standard desktop

    AIOs are basically non-portable laptops (the boards are custom to fit)

    CPUs that work with other CPUs directly are very expensive

    electrically this cant work..

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.