Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Can police prosecute me for speeding with only verbal confession?

I was driving and had an accident where the road conditions were very wet, and it was strong gusts of wind with heavy rain. Speed limit was 30mph, I was doing around 45mph.

The vehicle lost control due to the poor weather conditions and I crashed into someone’s brick wall. My insurance is sorting out the repairs to my vehicle and the guys home.Police came within a few minutes of the accident and asked me questions. They asked what speed I was doing and I stupidly said 45mph.A week later, they came to my house to try and speak to me but I wasn’t in, and a day or two after, they kept ringing my mobile and today I answered, they wanted to meet me to do some ‘paperwork’.Met up with them and they wanted to process their Traffic Offence Report Form to submit for investigations and prosecutions.They said the camera on that road was not working. The road conditions were wet with heavy rain and strong winds that night.I only damaged the guys front wall and my own car, didn’t damage or kill anyone.When they spoke to me about the report before they got me to sign, I said due to the poor weather conditions, as the vehicle lost control, I was unsure if I was doing 45mph.Now they’re going to submit to the Traffic Prosecutions Team, who will make a decision on prosecution.They said I can appeal.Can they prosecute me and give me points with no real evidence of me speeding apart from my own confession which I could have been in shock that day of the accident when I said it?

YOU CLEARLY was DRIVING TO FAST FOR CONDITIONS... THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW... YOU ARE GUILTY ANYWAY..

The police do not prosecute, only the prosecutor does that

They were compiling an accident investigation, there is no prosecution involved

They will provide your insurance company with the details VIA the accident report that they will give you to deal with the insurance company

If there was a death, serious injury or drugs or alcohol involved the police would still not prosecute you, they would turn the results of their investigation over to the prosecutor, including any comments you made

They could probably prosecute you, yes, but that doesn't mean that they'll get a conviction.  It's unlikely that they'll prosecute but if they do, you might be able to win since they probably won't have evidence that your speedometer was calibrated and found to be accurate.  Also, there might be other arguments as well: for example, you might not have said when and where exactly you were going 45.  Winning might be difficult though if the judge reeks and/or you don't know how to defend yourself in traffic court.

"vehicle lost control due to the poor weather conditions" 

A true damn fool! The vehicle did not lose control YOU did and you were speeding and even worse should have been driving slower because of the conditions.  Hopefully they will take your license for a year so you can reflect on what YOU did.  Then again someone like you who drives like that would just get in the car and drive anyway!

You lost control because of your poor driving.

• 3 weeks agoReport

Usual cases, judge knew what they should do upon facing cases that bound by self confession especially cases that bound by doubt since confession itself were something that cannot stand on its own.

Hellooooo! There's a REASON you have the "right to remain silent" while being questioned by the Police and you BLEW it since that right isn't just limited to 'Criminal' inquires!

So to answer your question in a word, "Yes". Once you actually admitted that you were exceeding a speed that was safe for the road conditions witch led to your failure to maintain control of your vehicle you opened yourself up to receiving a citation for it.

So next time I advise simply shutting the F*ck-up & limiting what you say to a cop to just ,,"oops I don't-know I wasn't looking at the frkn speedometer, damned wet roads!".                  After all, there's Also a 'Reason' such occurrences are typically called "Accidents".

Yes, they can. Further, they often say that the cameras are not working. That's just not true. They want you to appear in court lying so that the case will be quick. They wouldn't know if they are not working. They were most likely working. They are almost always working. You have a problem taking responsibility for your actions, don't you! The car did not lose control - YOU lost control. You were supposed to be controlling the car. And, you are supposed to be driving at a suitable speed for the conditions, which were not good. Instead of slowing down, you sped up to 15 miles over the limit, which is excessive speeding, which gives you points on your driving record. What is there to appeal? You were guilty. You said you were guilty, and the officers found you guilty. Did it ever occur to you that at some point, you ought to shut up, stop defending your pathetic self and ADMIT to driving recklessly in very bad weather?

• John

Wail, a traffic speeding ticket is usually a fine.

A felonious traffic ticket is where property and maybe another person(s) is damaged then removes themselves quickly to escape blame.

You didn't "remove" yourself. Your not guilty of a felony. You are guilty of careless and reckless driving and wouldve lost your license and might be sitting in jail if you hadn't a had insurance or if you had killed or injured another person(s).

That would be the law police/sherrif/state patrol.

What you have in your situation is a traffic ticket for speeding. Pay the fine.

The 'police" are working for both the insurance companies and homeowners trying to place blame firmly on your and depending on the courts corruption in the area might force you to do time. And try to force you to pay all costs.

Shut up pay the speeding fine and get a defense attorney.

• Tavy

We have very clever accident investigators in the U.K. who can tell exactly what speed you were doing. You cannot retract what you said.

Only damaged his wall? Is that all you think it is, a repair taking months to settle, rebuilding and so on, means nothing to you.!

• JetDoc

Police don't "prosecute" people Skippy. That would be up to the local District Attorney. If you admitted to driving too fast for conditions, the police can CHARGE you with that offense, and traffic violations are usually NOT criminal offenses, so prosecution rules are different than in a criminal case.

It's unlikely that you would be PROSECUTED unless you caused someone to be injured.

• Tavy

This sounds UK and yes the the police can prosecute we don't have district attorneys.