Muzz asked in PetsCats · 8 months ago

Very sick cat.  Vet medication isn't working.  Euthanize?

I have a 14 year old cat who isn't responding to treatment.  We've tried changing diet, probiotics and medicine but she has this awful smelly, watery diarrhea.  My other cats are fat and healthy.  

She was a senior rescue 4 years ago.  Healthy and in good shape.

She became ill recently and nearly died but recovered.  She hasn't been the same since.

I went through having to euthanize my first dog 30 years ago and it broke my heart.  I know she probably doesn't have long but this is a heartbreaking decision.  I love my fur babies!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Talk to your vet.  If the cat is not responding and there is no hope for a good recovery, you may need to euthanize her as she will just get worse and you don't want her to suffer or be in pain any more.

• 8 months ago

odd how you are not mentioning what illness your cat has??...

• 8 months ago

Fat is most certainly NOT healthy!!!

What have they said is wrong with your cat?

Take her back to the shelter.  THEY can decide whether or not this cat can be saved since you're ready to kill her.  NEVER get another cat again!

• 8 months ago

What is the cause BEHIND the diarrhea? If it's the protozoan parasite giardia you need specific meds for that. Is it worms? Is it diet based (too much fat, table food, dairy, reaction to specific protein like fish?). Is it IBD? Was that ruled out?

Did the cat's blood panel indicate hyperthyroidism? Colitis? Is the poop ultra smelly and foul? Black?

What did the vet specifically rule out? You may need to take her records to a different vet and get a second opinion.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

This is something you need to talk to your vet about

• W
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

Put her down. It's the most humane thing you can do.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

u need to talk to your vet not us untrained people

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.