98 ranger. Went to start it and couldn't press clutch in. Finally went in and was fine for a week. Now no pressure. Pedal goes to floor. ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

RAY: YOU BROKE THE LINKAGE SOME PLACE> AAMCO TIME!

• M.
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The "linkage" is a pipe with hydraulic fluid.

• M.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I had troubles with the pesky, retarded hydraulic clutch system on my Ranger too. 

Better hope the problem is the master cylinder.  If it's the slave cylinder that the throwout bearing is mounted on, then you'll need to pull the transmission.  

Start by looking in the tiny master cylinder reservoir that's mounted on the left fender near the hood hinge.  Is the fluid full or empty?  If it's empty, is there fluid leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing?

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• 3 weeks ago

Repair the clutch hydraulic system.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Apparently you haven't figured out the question-answer format here. You need to ask an actual question, not just whine about your problems. Remember that for the next time. 

The clutch slave cylinder has probably failed and needs to be replaced, which also means replacing the fluid and bleeding the system. My guess is that you don't have the knowledge, tools or skills to do that yourself so will need to have it towed to a shop. Plan on it costing $200 to $300, plus tax and the towing fee. . 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Hopefully it's just the clutch slave little easier to replace.. couldn't get mine to bleed so I pump the Piston by hand with it loose there's an article on YouTube chose two methods when you just can't get this thing to bleed.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That's nice. Did you want to ask a question while you're here?

• 4 weeks ago

Time to check the clutch slave and master cylinder boots for leaks Is there any brake fluid remaining in the clutch reservoir?

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Check clutch fluid level.  Fluid is low, there is a leak.  Fluid is good, master cylinder could be shot.

• Barry
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

If it's a hydraulic clutch the master cylinder is suspect. Or it may be low on fluid. There could also be a leak in the system or the slave cylinder has failed. Master cylinder is the prime suspect from your description. You can get repair kits or buy a new cylinder. New cylinder is preferable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.