Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Rare False Positive or Pregnant?

Today I took a clearblue digital pregnancy test I had purchased a few months back and it was new and unopened. Just for sh*ts and giggles I decided to pee on this extra hpt thinking to myself there is no way I could be pregnant. Well a few minutes later the test read PREGNANT and I’ve been freaking out ever since. I have never been pregnant before so this is a new experience for me.

A girlfriend bought me two more non-digital tests and both were NEGATIVE. I then raced to the nearest clinic and had another urine test done and it was again negative. The doc said she did not want to tell me for sure that I am not pregnant because she felt that I was taking tests just a tad too soon and she herself is confused by how I could get a positive the first time and thought that it’s possible there was something wrong with the digital test itself. She suggested I wait 5 more days to take another hpt and then a blood test later to be sure so that is what I am going to do.

I had unprotected sex 15 days ago. He pulled out but went back in. Don’t ask me why. I experienced about 4/5 days of brown discharge with no odor and then it went away. I should have my period around this week or the next. I am really out of my element here and unsure of how to feel about this. I have read that false negatives are very common while false positives are very rare. If anyone has any ideas or experience to share I would greatly appreciate it.

Hard to say. My mother always said there's no such thing as a false positive. I took 3 regular hpt and got very faint positives. I then took a ClearBlue Digital test and got "Pregnant". Now, I'm almost 28 weeks pregnant. You never know. I'd get the blood test. 

• MissA

Digital tests have much MUCH higher rates of false positives than the basic models.

Follow the doctor's advice.

• R1 month agoReport

is that really true though? digital has a much higher chance of false positive??? why is that?

Yes if it's only been 15 days it's too early. False positives are almost unheard of but you are testing before your period is even due. Clear Blue's are one of the better brands so I think it may pick up a positive earlier. I hope you are trying to conceive!!

• R1 month agoReport

tmi but i had brown discharge for a few days after sex and today i had pink spotting. i feel like every time i get online to search something there are a billion possibilities for everything. is that normal? to get a false positive if testing too early?

Given the number of tests you've had done, I'd go with the not pregnant.