What kind of ethernet cabling should I use for in the wall and attic (UTP/STP, solid core, etc.)?

Need about 85 feet of Cat 6 cable to make 2 runs (40 feet each plus extra), which will run up one wall, across the attic, then down opposite wall. The runs are free of AC wiring, so no electrical interference. Just two coaxial cables will be bundled with the two Cat6 lines and go to coax outlets, next to the Cat6 outlets. Can I get away with using the cheaper flat cables, and use twisted pair or do I need solid core and shielded?

3 Answers

  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

    You need CAT6 "trunk" (single strand) cable for it to connect properly with the sockets at the outlets or patch panel. 

    Shielding is up you, for normal domestic installations and short distances like that it's not really needed. Shielding can be needed in industrial sites where there is heavy electrical gear that can cause interference, or radio equipment etc.

    The only possible reason is proximity to the antenna cables, as there is just a slim chance of the ethernet signals causing some interference, which screening should eliminate - as long as it's all done with screened connectors and has a ground somewhere at one of the pieces of equipment; eg. the patch panel, router or switch.

  • 8 months ago

    CAT 6 cable is automatically solid core 24AWG. Otherwise it isn't CAT 6. Coax (thinnet and original thicknet) is very old school and it is doubtful your equipment will work with it.

    Do NOT use flat cable as that is not CAT 6, it is stranded, and it is completely unsuitable for runs of more than a few feet. 

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    You should always use solid copper instead of CCA if there's any chance you will need to use Power over Ethernet over them in the future. Flat cables are fine as long as you aren't making any sharp bends.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.