How do I take the lid off of a pickle jar?

Favorite Answer

1.) A truck, some rope tied to the hitch and the lid.

2.) Thor's hammer or Storm Breaker.

3.) Some lube.

4.) Chuck Norris

5.) A lightsaber.

6.) Your Mom.

7.) Actual strength.

8.) A 12 gauge shotgun.

9.) A YouTube tutorial on how to open a jar of pickles.

10.) More than 5 brain cells.

11.) An IQ of 10 or higher.

12.) A completed Infinity Gauntlet with all 6 Infinity Stones.

13.) Thanos

Source(s): Opening Jars 4 Dummies 101
  • John

I bet that all the answers who don't have a $5 jar opener DO have a melon baller and at least one appliance they never use.  Just buy one.

Shout "Man, Maaan, Maaaaaaaaan!!!??"

Turn the jar over and hold firmly, smack the bottom of the jar with the heel of your hand until you hear a pop sound, turn the jar back over and try to open, if not successful then tap the jar lid around the edges with the handle of a butter knife, Good Luck!

use a fadi to easily take the lid off a pickle jar

righty tighty, lefty loosey. 

If you still have problems invert the jar and rap it firmly on the counter that usually helps break the seal. 

A rubber band around the lid might also give you a bit of extra grip when turning the lid

lefty loosey .

I turn counterclockwise.

The trick is to break the vacuum inside the jar (that is even worse if an unopened jar is refrigerated). Last week I used a small screwdriver to pry the lid away from the jar. It went whoosh, and I had my pickles. Pry don't twist, twisting can concentrate force on a small section of the jar and might break out a small piece of glass.

If you can't just twist it off,

1. Take a knife, a butter knife.   Hold it by the blade and smack the handle against the edge of the lid, trying to knock it in a counter-clockwise direction.  Knock it maybe 20 times all the way around.  Then try it.

if that doesn't work

2. Turn on the  hot water and let it get as hot as it will.  Use the hot water to warm up the lid (NOT the glass jar, just the metal lid).  That will make the lid a little bigger (diametrically) and should loosen it.

If THAT doesn't work

3.  Find a man in his 20s or 30s.   Hand him the jar and say 'Can you open this for me? I'll give you a pickle!'

I have some arthritis in my hands and I do have trouble opening jars. Those are the things I try, in order.