Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 8 months ago

what are these little metal spring things that hang off my bike gears?

do they have any purpose? what do you do with them? why are they coiled up?

thanks for trying anyways guys theres only so much a little 37$ 5mp smartphone from Dollar general can do

Cable housing is spiral-wound; but they're not springs.If the plastic outer layer is clear, you can see the winding. Is that what you're asking about? The housing protects the control cables.

Unknown. Picture is not clear -and- area of focus is not marked.

Gears are not pictured. They are everything the chain touches. Front is pedals. Rear is wheel. I seeLeft/front cable brake cable housing is cracked/dry rotted, exposing coil-like interior. Shift cables both left & right is cut with ends still inside shifters. Cut ends dipped in black plastic, hanging by stem. (some mechanics do this when storing parts, makes it easier to remove/replace cable. No looking for holes)

ONLY Other springs like object is BRAKES. 

Terrible picture and absolutely no useful information.   The name of the braking system and a better picture would've helped along with the model of the bike.

The closet thing I've seen to this is a sensor on an ebike brake levers that can cut power to the motor when the brake lever(s) are compressed. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

The gears on your bike are nowhere near where the camera pointed.  I see a handlebar, a stem, shift & brake cables with housings & gear shifters.  But no gears.  

There's an easy & inexpensive way to get answers to questions, especially when you don't know the correct nomenclature.  Roll the bike into a bike shop, point to the area in question and ask.  

• David

So I've enlarged your pic, and I'm not entirely certain what you're asking about. Those grayish-white things curving back towards your stem?

Best I can come up with is that they are feeds to a gear selection indicator display that is missing.

See if you can read a make & model designation somewhere on your shifters.

From there you should be able to find out if a gear indicator display was an option to those shifters.

The black cables exiting the levers farthest to the front are the brake cables, with the left one looking kinked or broken. Behind those are the shifter cables. Look up "Bowden cables" to find out more about how they work.

Sheaths, to reduce the amount of friction as the cables move. Also, they keep the cable from kinking on the bends.

• Carson

Those are cable sheathes. Inside those are "cables " that control your gear selectors.

Grab the sheath with one hand and wiggle the gear selector. You will feel the cable move.