Anonymous

Do I have a chance at becoming a nurse ?

I got an 1.94 GPA in high school and have a learning disability. I REALLY want to become a nurse but I’m just worried that I’m not smart enough to become one. I know there’s soooooooo much you have to learn so I’m worried that I’ll fall behind and all that money will be wasted because I’m not smart enough to pass nursing school. Or if the college will see that I just about failed high school with C’s and D’s and deny my application then I’ll never be able to go to school if nobody accepts me. I don’t want to go to a community college because their waiting list for nursing program is 2 years long. 

There is a lot of memory type learning to be a nurse. You might consider one of the slightly lower nursing certificates available at many community colleges. Try that before you spend too much money on a career you may need achieve.

• Daniel

No patient would want to be served by a nurse with such low credentials, so there’s no way you can get into the medical field with these qualifications. The lowest GPA you can have to enroll in a nursing program is a 2.5. Your best bet is to apply for a community college with a 100% acceptance rate and work your way to the top. 

There is NO way you are going to a 4-year university with a GPA like that. Not for nursing, not for basketweaving. You'd be lucky to get into a community college, but definitely not for nursing. Nursing admissions are very competitive, very demanding.

Consider other community college programs, perhaps some occupational training programs, perhaps Certified Nurse Aide program. Talk to an advisor, discuss your learning disabilities - be very specific as to your situation, abilities & limitations. Ask for help in choosing something better suited to your abilities. But nursing is out of the question.

No is the short answer.

• MS

You will likely need to at least start at a community college because of your GPA. Most offer RN nursing programs. You might have trouble being admitted to and completing such a program, but you should certainly try if that’s what you really want to do. I would suggest identifying campus resources that will help you with accommodations for your learning disability. 

• .

You won't be accepted into a university with that GPA, so you will need to start at a community college.  If you do well, you can get into the nursing program.  But it won't be easy.  Admission is competitive.  A lot more students apply than they have room for.