Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 4 weeks ago

Does this wrist need an X ray?

Unsure whether I should go to minor injuries unit for an x ray Since I don’t feel as if it’s actually broken. Fell on stairs. Almost full mobility in wrist and hand but sore to rotate and extremely sore to touch. Very bruised and swollen 

Attachment image

10 Answers

Relevance
  • You should have put ice on it as soon as it happened. Looks like bad swelling and bruising. Could be sprained. I’d go to the emergency room ASAP to get it checked out and try not to move it to prevent any more damage. 

• Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Get an x-ray; and find out for sure. An x-ray won't hurt anything.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Only an Xray can determine that.

• 4 weeks ago

That's in a location that is not easily fractured, but the likelihood of a fracture depends on a bunch of variables,  including the amount of force,  angle your arm struck the stairs, presence/absence of carpeting. and how much your arm and hand were rotated at the time.  So anything is possible.  It would be a good idea to get an x-ray to find out for certain if its broken. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes wether you can move it or not doesn’t matter. You can move fractured extremities 

• 4 weeks ago

You do need to be seen at least for a doctor. If it's swollen and extremely sore, you might have a fracture.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Ice it up and give it a few days. If you have almost full mobility it's probably ok, just soft tissue damage.

• 4 weeks ago

I would strongly suggest having it checked to be certain.You definitely have serious bruising and if it's tender to the touch it could be fractured. At thi point it does not look like a compound fracture, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd have it done.

• 4 weeks ago

I'd get it looked at if I were you, just in case. Extreme swelling can be a sign of a break, according to my doctor (when I called to ask him if I needed to my hand checked out after a fall), and breaks aren't always extremely painful.

• Barry
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Only a doctor can advise. My guess is it's just bad bruising. But it's only a guess.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.