Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Is any interior house paint, any good or are they all junk?

Highly frustrated. 10 years ago, when my daughter was 6, of course she wanted her room deep purple. Now she is 16, she wants something less dark and a bit more grown up. 

I will be honest, I went to WalMart and got their ColorPlace paint, white, flat. I figured this would make a good first coat. It was about $13 per gallon. I used two gallons and it did a horrible job! Streaky and barely covered. Now I wanted to do it in their $18 "Ultra" ColorPlace paint for the 2nd coat in a antique white and the trim in Satin White, which is going to cost $20 a gallon. 

Before I waste $60+ and a whole day, what should I do? My friend thinks two more coats, not one, both with the "Ultra". Is it worth the extra $5 per gallon? Is it worth paying $30 a gallon for paint at Lowes or Home Depot?

Favorite Answer

Well, your problem is that you bought your paint at Walmart. If you want good results, go somewhere reputable like Sherwin Williams. Even Home Depot's Behr paint is goo get what you pay for.

Almost any interior flat wall paint will cover well if you prepare the surface properly first. To cover a dark color with a light color, you need to sand lightly, then prime it with a good primer coat--maybe two--THEN use your wall color. Rolling or brushing it on in diagonal strokes, and giving it more than one coat almost always eliminates streaks and light spots. 

I've bought $5/gallon paint at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store that covered just as well as the $30/gallon paint bought from name-brand stores because I took care to prepare the walls before painting. Research how to prepare your walls before you buy paint, then follow the instructions carefully. You won't be disappointed.

Like most everything sold at Walmart, you will not find top of the line products there, including paint.

I have personally used Benjamin Moore regal and Aura paint, Bher paint from Home Depot, Sherwin-Williams and True Value paint which I think is Valspar. I have never had an issue with any one of them. The Benjamin Moore paint is expensive.

Also, because you are painting over a dark color, it is wise to use a primer first, which your Walmart paint seems to have accomplished. Go ahead and buy a better brand of paint for your final coat.

• Ann

Sorry but Walmart paint is cheap and lousy. To go over a dark color you usually need to paint on a primer, which seals it and prevents it from bleeding through, let it cure for a week or 2, then use a high quality paint. I like Behr, it isn't cheap but it does the trick,

Your daughter is sixteen. Why can't she paint her own room?

'Own brand paint' is always risky as they go to different manufacturers to get the best deal and the quality is variable. I always use trade paint as coverage is (almost) always better and I don't want to do more than a couple of coats, three at most. Paints are generally formulated for use with a roller. With a really strong colour change it is a big ask, so your first coat should have been a primer. Upside is that if you only decorate once every ten years you have had your money's worth out of the deep purple.

Too bad you didn't do a little research first, like googling 'how to paint over a dark or bright colour', or ask someone in the paint department at Walmart about what you were doing. You would have found out that in this circumstance it's recommended to use a primer, and that covering a very dark colour with a very light one often takes multiple coats even with the very best paint. Even if I was painting white over off-white, I would expect to use two coats to get a nice paint job. I did that a couple of years ago, in fact. Used primer on some beige patterned wallpaper, then two coats of off-white.

Yes, more expensive paint is usually better. However, there is hardly any such thing any more as really bad paint, unless you bought some no-name stuff at a discount place. Wal-mart's paint may not be the best but it's perfectly adequate if used correctly.

I would use a primer now, and then you just might be able to get away with one coat of the topcoat colour. I say might. I wouldn't promise it.

• drip

You should of gone to a paint store or at least a hardware store, Lowe’s, Home Depot, and talked to an expert.

You don’t prep the walls properly and now you have wasted time and money. Because you will need to do it the right way. You needed to start with a good primer. Especially when the wall is dark or has red pigment in it, you have both.

GTB gives good advise. Or go to a paint store . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZKeWIgp7tQ

Youtube thumbnail

ColorPlace is presently made by the same company that makes Behr and Kilz at this time. It has been made by PPG/Glidden and Sherwin Williams (who owns the ColorPlace trademark). I would expect this is about as good as Behr i300 for the Ultra and Behr i100 for the non-Ultra. i300 is good, low end paint (not crap) i100 is pretty much crap or close to crap. Go to Lowes, spend $26 per gallon on Valspar Ultra as a minimum. Valspar Signature starts at $30 and I'd call it very good to excellent.

Good primer, like Zinsser 123 Plus or Kilz 3 will block color and also improve adhesion. What you put up doesn't have such good adhesion and must be primed now.

Anyone will tell you (I know because they old me!) that you can't paint a lighter color over a darker color without primer first.  But I've seen some paints (I think it was Behr at Home Depot, but don't hold me to it) that guarantee covering in one coat or your money back (but not your time).

• Dze

well .. if you trying to cover purple i would put cheap sht on it until you got it covered .. then put a top coat on of something nice .. i suggest you dont let that happen again lol ..