Can you trace back a cars speed at a date and time?

I recently got a speeding ticket, and I truly believe I was not going as fast as it said. I have a new car (2019 Toyota CH-R) with a lot of safely and computer features, so I’m sure there’s a way it stores data. I heard there’s something called a “black box” in most cars that can retrieve a speed, but only for after accident purposes.  If I bring my car to the dealership, could I see the speed I was going at the date and time of my ticket?

• james

Yes all American vehicles have a trip recorder in the computer in them. You need take it to the dealer & have this pulled to 15 minutes before & after the time of the stop on the ticket. Many companies prove this way that the cops are in the wrong around 1/3rd of the time in the U.S. 

• Tavy

In the U.K. the speed cameras take a photograph. This shows your car, date, time and speed.

Or perhaps the US does not have this technology.

Nope, your lawyer can request a jury trial and hope you can convince a jury the officer was wrong.

Your word against the officer and whatever he used to catch the violation

The answer is simple.  No.

Most newer cars have black boxes to aid in investigating a crash. 

Simple answer is no. It does record your speed and a lot of other stuff but it only stores it for about 20 seconds before the crash. Since you weren’t in a crash, the  data is wiped out after about 20 seconds. It’s like some dash cams where things are recorded in a 30 second loop. After 30 seconds, the first second is wiped out to make room for the 31st second. Then the 2nd second is wiped out to make room for the 32nd second. 

The cop only pulls you over if you’re at least 10 mph over the speed limit or you’re driving erratically. 

• A.J.

Black box data recorders are in planes, not in cars.

Defenses to speeding tickets...    Officer's determination of your speed - To do this you must discover what method the officer used to determine your speed -- like radar, laser, or pacing -- and then attack that particular method for accuracy and calibration and training to do it.

An emergency forced you to exceed the speed limit to avoid serious damage or injury to yourself or others.

Officer mistook your car for another car. With so many similar looking late-model cars, it is very possible that a cop could see a speeding car, lose sight of it around a corner, and then wrongly pick out your car further down the road.

Discriminatory practices - If traveling in the flow of traffic, if officer has a history of racial discrimination in ticketing, there are cases that can be shown in court.

Speed traps - hidden signs, change of speed limit without warning, insufficient speed limit marking affect a judge's decision in a case.

No.