Courtney asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

What's age do kittens go to their forever homes? I've heard 8 weeks one place and 12 weeks another because the need to learn off mum?

12 weeks is best.

Usually around 10 days.

12 weeks and only after they are ALTERED. Shame on you breeding your no breed cats. Hand them out unaltered and this "just one litter" will likely turn into hundreds if not thousands more unwanted kittens in just a few years.

Where I live it is illegal to sell them before 10 weeks.

• PAMELA

Between 8 and 10 weeks.

• Ocimom

As a former breeder of purebred cats, the ideal age to let them go is 10-12 weeks old MINIMUM.  Most breeders keep them till 12-16 weeks old.  Why?

Kittens under 12 weeks old are:

1.  Still nursing from mom even if they are eating solid foods.

2.  Still need time to be with siblings in playing and learning how to be a cat.

3.  Should be kept till ALL shots are given and ideally spayed/neutered at 3-4 months old.

When you take a kitten before 12 weeks old, you can have some physical and mental problems like biting more, scratching more and more anti-social to people.  Also kittens are NOT fully litter pan trained before 3-4 months old.  At only 2 months old they are just learning what to do and will end up peeing or pooping in other places for awhile.

More kitten problems that people complain about would not occur if the kitten stays with mom for 4 months old.

Mother will have weaned them by about 8 weeks and they'll be fully capable of living in their own, but they'll still be learning the skills and art of being a cat from her so they'll benefit from being left with her until 12 weeks or so.  

In my personal experience getting kittens, 10-14 weeks is absolutely ideal. 6-9 weeks is way too soon (unless you have no choice, like mama abandoning them or something). Getting a kitten at this age is a challenge, as they have not learned proper manners, can be a nightmare to potty train, and can be very territorial and one-person only cats when they grow up. Beyond 14 weeks is when the serious fighting can start to happen. As early as 14 weeks, but usually around 16+ weeks, mama will no longer see them as her offspring, but a threat and will chase them off. All of my kittens, save one, were older than 12 weeks when we got them. One was 6 weeks and abandoned, but he adjusted ok and we had another cat to teach him the ropes. Another one of mine was abandoned at 2 weeks, but fostered for 7 months and he's weird, but very sweet. 

• Sam

Two of my cats are sisters who are over ten years old now.  I rescued them when they were three weeks old. I used a dropper to feed them and started them on a mixture of  'lactose free' milk mixed with some canned kitten pate and showed them a lot of love. 

Source(s): I think the answer to your question is that it depends on where you get them, shelters vary. I got mine from under a house after the feral mother didn't return. I didn't want the responsibility of any pets, but I couldn't leave them there to die. I thought I would find someone to adopt them, but after a few weeks I became attached to them, and they to me.
    • Sam

I had mine spayed after their first heat.  I didn't know much about cats or I would've had it done before then so they wouldn't have had to go through that.  I felt so sad for them to be suffering, but it turned out good, they are very loving cats.

• Shay

They can go as early as 8 weeks but it is better if they stay with their mom and their siblings until closer to 12 weeks.

I have taken kittens as early as 6 weeks in certain situations - but they do better when they have more time with their mom.  (in these cases - something had happened to momma cat and the kittens needed to be adopted early)

• Sam

I am so blessed to have two cats who always use the same litter box, and it is the only place they ever used.  They seemed to naturally take to it.  Cats are smart.  Some are smarter than others. I know I am being biased, but I think mine are those who are smarter  ;)  They are wonderful .