What does it sound like could be wrong with my dog and am I at risk of catching it?

For the past four days npw my dog has had diarrhea (it's always been three times in the morning and sometimes once more later in the day) and she threw up once yesterday and today except just a little bit of saliva came out. During the day she is active snd wants to play and is drinking a lot of water but doesn't want tp eat as much.

What could be wrong? I will be taking her to the vet if it doesn't clear up soon but was wondering some possibilities of what it could be and if I'm at risk of catching it if she licks me or even just from breathing in the same air?

• Maxi

Take you dog to the vets and find out what is wrong...... you should not be allowing this to continue for more than 24-48 hours

Sounds like she ate something bad or could be sick. I'd keep an eye on her. If it doesn't get better in a day, take her to the vet. I hope your dog is ok. :)

Doubt you could catch whatever it is.

• ZotsRule

Seriously?  This dog HAS ALREADY HAD DIARRHEA FOR FOUR DAYS!  Wait any longer and it could end up dead - and maybe thanks to your COMPLETELY irresponsible comments above you moron.

• Jack H

Get her to a vet, quickly...

There are very FEW dog illnesses that can spread to humans, so STOP worry about YOU, but get the dog to the vet.  NOBODY (in their right mind) should let a dog have diarrhea for FOUR DAYS and not take it to the vet.  IMO, (2-3 days is the LIMIT).   Refusing vet care to a sick or hurt pet is considered ANIMAL ABUSE, by law. 

There are NO vets on yahoo and NO ONE (who even is a vet) can suggest treatment or diagnosis - who has not personally examined YOUR DOG.  Your dog can DEHYDRATE and become MUCH SICKER.  Not eating can be a signal of many issues and will cause weight loss and.... run the dog down FURTHER, so again, dog needs to see the vet => as in TODAY.

There are very few known bugs that can transfer to humans.   However, to have continual diarrhoea as you describe MUST be sorted out by a vet.   Collect some of what's being produced (your vet will have a pot made especially for this) and GET IT TESTED.   At the very last, she could dehydrate if this isn't stopped.

What makes you think a bunch of strangers here can possibly be better than a qualified vet, who can do all the testing needed.

If you wait even a few more days, you could end up paying more to get this sorted out, than at present.

• Nicey8

yes it is contagious. You need to wear a mask when you go near her. Take her to the vet,  or unless you know how to self medicate her.

Do take care and not catch the bug. Protect your family members too.

So your ONLY concern is if YOU can get sick? Diarrhea is only a SYMPTOM not a specific illness. I ca't believe you've let this dog be sick for FOUR DAYS already. Diarrhea is INCREDIBLY dehydrating. Your dog could be DEAD if you wait any longer.

Get it to a vet or give it up to a no-kill shelter IMMEDIATELY. You are a HORRIBLE person.

• Jack H

Good points well made...

She should probably go to the vet asap if she isn't wanting to eat very much, it's good that she's drinking water and playing though. Maybe she ate something she shouldn't have. 

Typically, sicknesses from dogs can't be transferred to humans. I wouldn't worry about getting sick from her at all, especially if she isn't deathly sick.