Can we predict the future?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Given enough time, nearly any prediction will more than likely come true.  For example, because the Simpsons has been on for so long and it's humor tends to focus on trends, they have often been cited for "predicting" the future.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

We can, to some extent. For example, I predict the sun will "rise" tomorrow...

• 8 months ago

Only gods knows

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Biblical prophets, political pundits, and weathermen have been predicting the future forever with varying success.  The question should be, "Can we consistently predict future events with ______________?"  Fill in your favorite method of divination. 

Since this is in the horoscopes section let's stick to that.  The idea with astrology is that 1) Everything is connected; 2) So we are, in some way, connected to the planets and their motions, 3) Therefore, by observing and associating past planetary motions, configurations etc, with the contemporary events of that time, we can make a reasonable stab at predicting future events, or in some cases future behaviors of individuals.

The problem is 1) The configurations never repeat in their entirety.  That is, Mars may square Jupiter once or twice every two or so years, each time it happens the other planets are in different places than they would be in the past or future, which may or may not affect the square. 2) Each configuration has more than one possible meaning. 3) Free will.

To eliminate the problem with 1) the astrologer has to be able to filter out the "noise," i.e. extraneous information that has no bearing on the immediate issue. That is much more difficult than we might think.

To eliminate 2), we have to accomplish 1) and then apply what we know in general about the particular configuration to the specifics at hand, i.e. what we know about the native's situation in natal astrology or the world situation in mundane astrology. 

To eliminate the issues caused with 3), well we can't.  First off free will is not as easy to define as it seems.  Schopenhauer said, "Man has a free will, just not the will to use it." And we all think we are acting with free will, but our backgrounds are in there whispering silently to us all the time. 

I think yes, we can predict the future using astrology to a limited degree, but human fallibility will always limit our success.

A better and more precise question - more easily answered, is "Can we predict the future with horary astrology?" Not enough space to go into that here.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

To an extent but also not really at the same time. For example: I can say that the sun will still exist tomorrow. Its extremely likely, so in a way i'm predicting the future. However, I personally cant say for sure whether the sun will still exist tomorrow or not, something crazy could happen and the sun could explode or cease to exist, anythings possible really.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Knowing the future would instantly change the future.

Science has over a 90% accuracy when it comes to what gender a baby will be. Astrology and the like can’t do better than a coin toss.

Science works.

• 8 months ago

yes but idk if it is right

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Only predictions that are based on science ... such as the destruction of our environment if we don't smarten up REAL soon.

• 8 months ago

We wish. But no , we as humans can not predict the future.

• 8 months ago

I know the Simpsons can predict the future

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.