Chris asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Why is is that people who aren't professional cooks, producers, musicians are able to criticize those who do those things?

Someone who has never acted, never produced a movie, never...done anything..but watched can be a critique?..

H.L. Mencken say having movie critics is bad idea. I think he is correct. Critics are ignorant imbeciles. I never agree with movie critics. Unfortunately, many people cannot think for themselves, and they allow critics to think for them about movies. 

• Cogito

Anyone is allowed to offer an opinion on any topic.  Whether or not anyone takes any notice of that expressed opinion is another matter!

I'm not an actor, a director or a producer but I've been asked to do reviews of locally produced plays because I've seen hundreds of productions, I've studied English Literature, the theatre and psychology, can write a fairly well considered article and most people seem to agree with (and like) what I write.  As plays are performed for the public, I'm simply offering my opinion as a member of the audience.It's the same situation with restaurants.  I may not be a good cook, but I can offer my opinion as to the quality of food when I eat out.  I'm not saying that I could do any better than the chef but as a paying customer I can state whether or not I enjoyed it and give my reasons for saying so.

• Mark

Yes, armchair critics. Some of whom have the deluded belief that they can do better. If so, have at it. Actually getting a film made is nothing short of a miracle, regardless of how it's received.

It’s opinions. We all have the same senses but have individual interpretations, reactions, and biases. We’re all non agreeing critics, just some are paid professionally. 

Thanks to the internet we get sort of a consumer report before we invest our time and money. Producers are out to make money for investors. Musicians are trying to make a living by entertaining. 

My local sports radio station has a host always boasting that he was never in a locker room. But people have eyes and ears. They call in and observations are discussed. 

There is one area where I disagree. That’s anything that has magical thinking claims. We do have the right to expose scammers. They have the burden of proof, which is never accepted.

I feel that there are a lot of people who are more able to critique than someone who's a professional. It's just that the ones who have never had training didn't have the option to get the training to just get a paper that say's they know what they are talking about.

I have some recipes of my own creation that will wow you better than what you can find in any restaurant made by a chef who's gotten training.

There have been a lot of crappy movies made by so called professionals but I can sit in my living room with friends and family coming up with a movie story idea that would make terrific movies or to tweak current movies.

So just because someone doesn't have a paper saying they are professionals, some can do much better with creativity and or critiquing others work.

• KatieC

Being a critic is an entirely opposite set of skills. Think about it. One is producing and one is interpreting.