Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How to train my outside dog to go inside?

I just got a new dog, 4 years of age. He is trained to go outside and pee outside. He has pooped inside and not on his pad. Which was ok and I was happy about, I didn't scold him. I just normally picked up the poo with the tissue and placed it on the mat for him to see. Yet he put his ears down as if I was scolding him. So I tried to cheer him up as much as I could. We live in an apartment. And I would like him to pee and poo on a pad so that when we are not home or at night he can go. My problem is, I feel he has been holding his pee since yesterday -when we got him- and I don't know what I should do. ... should I take him outside to let him go or should I wait for him to make an accident so that I can teach him where to go? I think he was trained to go outside. Because he seems like he feels guilty when he pooped indoors. What should I do in this case?

Use a shock collar. 

Take the dog outside to toilet. Pee pads are disgusting and unsanitary. Dogs trained to use pads will use other surfaces that remind them of the pads (rugs, carpet, mattresses, bedding, etc)

TROLL.  Reported for FLAME BAITING.  If you're really this stupid then take this dog back to wherever you got it from you lazy, disgusting ****.

First thing you do is take the poor dog, who has been holding his pee since yesterday, outside to pee. Let him do it several times. The next thing you do is count your lucky stars that you got a dog which doesn't want to pee and poop in the house. If you don't want to go outside at night, and if you're going to be away from home that much, I have to wonder why you got a dog at all. A well-trained adult dog has no trouble holding it overnight. And that's partly what crates are for, because a well-trained dog won't soil its sleeping quarters.

You don't want a dog that thinks it's supposed to pee and poop in the house. I was unfortunate enough to have to look after a couple of dogs for a couple of months who peed and pooped in the house as well as outdoors. Small dogs, 8 lbs tops. Pee pads. Lots of pee pads, at least 3 or 4 every single day. If you don't change them almost every time they get used, they stink. My whole house smelled of dog pee, and of poop for 20 minutes when they did that a few times a day. Not really what you want when you're in the middle of eating dinner. Then they'd miss the pad and get the floor, so there was a clean-up job. They thought they were using the pad, but all it was was that they were standing on or near it when they used it. The pee got under the pads if they peed close to the pads. Or they walked in a pad that was already wet and then walked across the floor with pee on their feet. I mopped the floor around the pad area every day, more than once every day. I'd use five or six pads at a time to cover a large enough area, and had to tape the pads up so they covered a foot up the wall and the furniture because they were male dogs and lifted their legs to pee. Luckily, I have vinyl flooring. Almost anything else would have needed replacing after those dogs left unless I had covered a whole room in plastic sheeting.You have to buy and throw away the pads, which doubled the volume of my garbage output.

What I think you should do is be glad you didn't have to do the work many people have to do to get their dogs to relieve themselves outdoors, and take the dog out to do his business. If you aren't prepared to do that, get a cat instead.

He should be going outside to potty. I would not stop that at all. Start taking him outside to do his business. That is where he wants to go. You need to keep that up.

Do not expect the dog to use the pad. It is just one place in your whole apartment & when you start allowing a dog to pee & poop in the house, the whole place becomes his potty place & he will go all over in that apartment.

Get rid of the pee pads & take him out when he needs to go.

Are you incapable of walking him & seeing that he gets enough exercise? If you are physically capable, you are just being lazy. A dog NEEDS a backyard or see to it that he gets to go do his thing outside & get exercised at the same time. As a responsible dog owner you owe this to this new dog. He wants to do it outside. Do not try to change that. Cause you don't want piss & poop all through your apartment.

Rehome the dog.  You are trying to retrain a dog that has been TRAINED to bathroom outside to go INSIDE.

I have NO idea what's wrong with you, but this is extremely unfair to the dog.

So you showed him the poop.  What do you suppose that accomplished?

This is one of those questions that should lead to to an investigation.

NOBODY (in their right mind) - should EVER want a dog to "GO" INSIDE their HOME.  Therefore, you must be a troll or mentally ill.  (Pee pads are a $CAM product and DO NOT WORK - anyway, which most educated dog owners already KNOW.)

Get over being lazy!  Either commit to being a responsible owner and learn to WALK the dog, or take the dog BACK.  No housebroken dog should be encouraged or expected to BREAK HIS HOUSE TRAINING and you are CRUEL and abusive to do such a thing to a TRAINED DOG.  

And stop the "B.S."!  There is NO surgery that would prevent him from being walked on lead -outside to POTTY, so stop PEEING on our collective legs and claiming it is RAINING!

then you are stupid enough to want to live in a dogs sewer eh

• Jojo

No rescue centre would allow a large dog that needs surgery to be rehomed to someone who lives in an apartment and who obviously has no experience of how to handle such dogs.

Be patient, that's all you can do. He may have very well learned to poop and pee outside, of course he has. But he is in a completely new environment now; new sights, new smells, new routine, etc. and it's not going to be overnight. He may be older, but for a few days or weeks, it will be like having a puppy all over again.

He has to get used to his new routine and way of doing things that YOU set. You can teach an old dog new tricks, you just need to be consistent and patient with him. You can take him outside, let him sniff around, see if he finds a good potty spot to make HIS. This is the problem a lot of dogs have when they are in a completely new place and it could take many tries until he finds HIS spots to pee in. Other dogs, animals, people are outside all the time, marking everything with their scent first. He just needs to get comfortable enough to know to do his business outside, that's all. When I first brought my puppy home, it took him about 5 hours to pee. Took him out to backyard and he sniffed...and sniffed...and sniffed, and guess what else he did? SNIFFED. Finally, he released the flood and even now, he has only 3 specific spots in the backyard that are HIS pee spots. He doesn't just go all over the place.

I would say that after 2-3 weeks, if he's not set on a routine, or still having problems, resort to a training guide or call someone up to help you, like a dog trainer, to see what can be done. I have a feeling that since everything is so completely new, he's very overwhelmed and doesn't have a set routine nor does he know what's expected of him from YOU. He will get there with love, patience, and praise.

• none1 month agoReport

thank you so much!