Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

I am going to a funeral tomorrow. How does one act at a funeral?

My cousin killed himself. I have never been to a funeral before. I am 14. 

Like do I smile and talk with my cousins or is that rude since a 20 year old died? 

You could consider watching and learning from other people. If your older relatives smile and joke around, you should do the same.

• PAMELA

You act with respect, be quiet and follow what other people do.

You should look sombre and sad on first greeting people, but then people often relax a bit and chat, even laugh a little.

At the reception afterwards people can often get kind of hilarious, because the strain of the formal part of the day is over. Just be pleasant and take your cue from other people.

i would just not say anything during the funeral

• drip

Well smiling is not the best idea, you don’t want to be joking around with cousins. Talk to them, but keep things under control. Most people there will be devastated.  Keep quiet. Talk in hush tones. Make sure to tell the parents and siblings I am sorry for your loss. It may feel awkward to do, but it is the right thing to do 

I don't recommend smiling.  Maybe take their hand or give a little hug and say "I'm so sorry."  

I usually just sit quietly and go out when an usher motions for me to go.  People usually walk by the casket at the end of the funeral but sometimes that is not done.

• mokrie

Calm, quiet and say "I'm sorry for your loss" to relatives of the deceased.

• Moloch

quiet and respectful

It's fine to talk with others.

Often people bring up good memories

respectfully ................

Treat it like an ordinary church service, it basically is.