Is it out of order to phone a collegue when they are on leave/day off? ?

Basically a few days ago I was at work (in healthcare) and my collegue was on annual leave. He sent a text early in the morning informing me he was on leave that day/apologised for not telling me sooner and telling me what needed doing and said ‘around if you need to call me’. I assumed that this just meant in the morning for a discussion about patients or something. Anyway at 2pm that day i was in a bit of a crises/not sure what to do or where a piece of equipment was located that i needed so i rang him. He helped but I cant stop feeling ashamed, slightly incompetant and out of order for disturbing him on his day off. 

Do you think its out of order or am i making a bigger deal than its worth?

• edward

At work of out boss is on vacation, she usually goes to Hawaii, we call the director or if it’s a weekend, we use the hospital phone to make a call to our boss while she’s on vacation on her cell. If it’s important, it’s an emergency

• Erik

"Around if you need to call me" means that it is OK to call.  Not rocket science.

• Judy

Not out of order, was ok. Don't call though if it's something that will easily wait for the next day.

I think it's a pretty big deal that your medical facility is so incompetently run that one person taking a day off caused a "crisis" and that no one on site had the ability to resolve said crisis.

Keep your eye on the ball.

You know how a manager knows they have done their job properly?   When they can take a vacation and no one notices.

In the circumstances you describe, it sounds like you NEEDED to call.  I hope management gets a clue that something isn't right here. 

• Tam5 months agoReport

Anonymous, its probably just me thats incompetant, I think I should have known where the equipment was but its something we only use occasionaly at that site.