Willy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Is it okay for me and justifiable to never want to eat out again? With exceptions?

I'm really burned out on eating out.  I was vegan for eight years which was a mistake but it really limited me to what restaurants I can go to.

Now that I'm not vegan I go to all the restaurants that are pretty decent.

Even when I was vegan my strategy is to keep going back to the restaurant until something happens to make me want to not go back which is usually food poisoning worst case scenario.

The problem I have is every time I go out to eat there always seems to be an issue like why do I set myself up? It's either a rude waitress crappy food that was made in a rush or getting charged for something I didn't order. Always a hair in the food too.

I'm at my wit's end because I found a handful of really good restaurants but I had to cross them all off my list due to food poisoning.

There was one restaurant I have been visiting for a year now and the last meal I got the bacon wasn't even cooked it was raw and I got super sick.

I've never had an issue by my food from the grocery store or buying frozen meals.

But now my friends think I'm lame because I don't want to eat out but I'm tired of getting food poisoning from eating out which is the only time I ever get food poisoning.

Maybe you have allergies or something because this doesn't seem like a normal amount of "food poisoning"/sickness.

Not sure where you live but glad I don't live there! I rarely if ever have any problems eating out where I live.

I doubt that you really had food poisoning to begin with.  You might be allergic to something that hasn't been discovered yet.  See your physician who can diagnose and treat your symptoms.

i dont see why not, but maybe you should tell them places youve been getting sick from their food

If I kept getting food poisoning I wouldn't want to eat anywhere too--BUT--have you considered that it isn't food poisoning--but that maybe you have a sensitivity to something--or maybe you have IBS--and when you go out and eat you are consuming foods you normally wouldn't eat at home?  I've really never heard of someone with such bad luck!

Restaurants don't always make their food just the way you like it. Give them another chance, if possible. Perhaps you can be "fussy" and explain to the server exactly how you want your order prepared.

I've never had so much trouble with even fast food. Usually my restaurant experiences at Sizzler's, Mimi's Cafe, Chili's, IHOP, Denny's, BJ's, Olive Garden, Chicago Pasta House, etc. have all been good. No hair, fine service, hot, seasoned food.

Often fast food burns me with cold, dry food or bad service, but it's cheap enough and it gets it right enough for me to not quit it.

Perhaps the area you eat at is just bad? Or maybe it's bad luck. But either way, if you don't get enough value out of paying to eat there or get poisoned, definitely keep your money.

Homecooked meals are much better for ensuring the quality of the food with practice, and with the right preparation, you can be eating sooner than some restaurants. They also usually cost less.