Do you think this hot sauce is okay to use?

There is an opened bottle of green Tabasco in the fridge. I’m sure it’s been there for a while, could be a year or two. The expiration date says 12/19. But it smells completely okay and hasn’t browned or anything. Do you think it’s okay to use?

Yes its fine the date is less than a month out and even so it would still be good to use.for awile yet so enjoy!

It's probably fine. The dates they put on bottles like that are all about the flavor declining. If there's no mold in the bottle you're good to go.

I don't believe it has an “expiration date”. It should have a best before or use by date but that applies only to the unopened bottle. I would expect it to say on the label something like, “once opened refrigerate and consume within...”.

If the bottle hadn't been opened then I wouldn't be bothered by any date on the bottle - I'd use my common sense but it would almost certainly still be okay a matter of days after the use by date.

I don't think I'd want to use it if it had been open for over “a year or two” unless the label suggested it would be.

Try it and see what it's like.

I believe it would still be OK if it were stored at room temperature in your cabinet. Seriously, any microbe, bacterium or yeast spore that took a bath in that hot sauce would curdle and die on contact. I wouldn't try it, but I bet it would steralize a wound. Use it (but not too much) in good health.

does the word expired actually appear? I bet not since that is NOT an expiration date, its a best if used by date.

I would use it.

Yes it contains a lot of salt and vinegar to preserve it. 

It's fine. That date is either the last sale date or the recommended 'use by' date. Things keep well beyond that.

Yes it's fine.

That is NOT an expiration date.   That is the date by which the manufacturer guarantees the BEST flavor and texture.   That date has ZERO to do with food safety.

• Janet

Only one way to find out. Use it and see if it makes you sick. Are you feeling lucky?

• Bill B

I'm sure it's fine.  It's mostly vinegar (Check the ingredients).