What associates degree should I get if I want to go into architecture? Liberal Arts?

Favorite Answer

I think Mathematics might be a great AA/AS to pursue, as you will need Algebra, Geometry,Trigonometry, Calculus, and Statistics before your bachelor's degree is done and over with.  

Engineering would also probably be a fantastic choice.  If the college has something like Industrial Arts, Engineering Design or Tech, or something like that, they could certainly lend themselves to architectural success as well.

• savanna1 month agoReport

Thank you a ton, thank you for not questioning my choice to do associates first!

No. Study math and science (to understand load bearing walls and beams, gravity, etc).

• drip

Your going to need at least a Bachelor degree for this field. If you must go to a CC first get a General Education for transfer degree.  

I would highly recommend going direct to a four year university.  My daughter’s sophomore roommate was an architect major and was already taking classes in her major as a sophomore. It is a difficult major as you spend a lot of time outside the classroom getting projects done, 

You don't need an Associates degree in order to move on to a four year college. If you want to go into architecture you should be taking lots of math, drawing/drafting, engineering basics, etc.  Many community colleges offer these basic courses, but you would also be doing yourself a favor if you got your general education requirements out of the way at your CC, such as Language Arts requirements, history or social studies, and two years of a foreign language.

I think a fine arts degree would be more helpful to hone your esthetic knowledge. And since f fine arts degree includes a survey of art history that also includes a survey of architecture. But if you prefer a liberal arts degree you should include a survey of art in your curriculum and also a design course from the art department. .

You don't need a AA or AS degree to transfer to a university to complete a bachelor's degree in architecture. What you do need are the foundation and general education classes that you'll need to be accepted into that program.  Look up the requirements for the university to which you plan to transfer.

In addition to the standard breath of general education classes in math, science, writing, literature, foreign language, history, social science, and art, you'll probably need classes such as environmental design, history of architecture, introduction to architecture, urban planning, and intro to visual representation or drawing,

I took a Bachelors degree in Architectural Studies which is the most usual route to progress towards becoming an architect.