Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

What happens at a contempt of court hearing, im afraid please hello?

My ex boyfriend filled contempt of court against me because i didn't take my daughter to have her dna collected for a paternity test. The court case is in 2 days. What will happen? What are the chances I can be arrested, or fined. Friends told me there's no way i would be arrested because i have a kid. I didn't do the court ordered dna because i don't want my ex involved, he smokes weed. And we're not together. I just want to move on. I tried filling a restraining orders on him but it didn't work. Because the judge knew i lied. What will happen? What are the chances I can be arrested, or fined?

"I didn't do the court ordered dna because i don't want my ex involved,"

TOUGH, it is not about you it is about the child.  You are a proven liar and Judge's don't like that. So you better get off the accusation band wagon and clean up your lying ways before you actually LOSE the child.

Oh, how many years of law school have your "friends" engaged in?

You're in contempt of court now because you defied a judge's lawful order. You could be fined, sent to jail, both, or neither, depending on the judge and you behavior in court. Your friends don't sound like lawyers so you'd be wise to ignore their lame advice in the future.

You better take the test. The judge can order you physically restrained and they will take your DNA

You have a known history of lying to courts and defying court orders. If you continue, this will not end well.

Consider, your baby's daddy wants to be involved in his kid's life. (His friends have let him know that this will involve child support for 18 years.) There are lots of dads out there whose only goal in life is to not have anything to do with their kid.

• PAMELA

You should get a lawyer, you will be fined unless you have the DNA test done! a child has the right to be supported by both parents, if he is declared the father of the child you can sue him for support and tell the judge about his drug habits too.

"Friends told me there's no way i would be arrested because i have a kid. " - Your friends are wrong. Do you know how many people in jail have children? It's ridiculous your friends believe this.

"I didn't do the court ordered dna because i don't want my ex involved, he smokes weed" - It doesn't matter. You should have used that to take him to court to LOSE his right. It doesn't matter if he is a serial killer, he has 50% rights, just like you. Remember you picked him to be the father of your child when you had sex. It's way too late to complain now.

As for what will happen, only the judge knows. You need to tell the truth and quit making excuses. Stop saying making excusing using "I feel" or "I did". This isn't about you. This is about your child. When you speak to the judge say "I was worried about my child because he uses weed."

What you should have done was get the DNA test done at birth using cord blood. This way the baby didn't have to get stuck with a needle.

So many believe the DNA test is for the mother or father. It isn't. It is all about the baby and the baby knowing their parents. Stop thinking about what you want and what is best for your child.

• y

Arrested? Yes, just becouse you are a parent doesn't exclude you from that. Very little chance of it happening though, they will bend over backward for you, to a point, then they will bend over backwards some more.  Fine? Better chance but once again, they really don't want to hurt a single mom. More then likely they will rule in his favor as to visitation and or custody. Custody though, they will bend over backwards to keep the kid with mom and give you way more chances then you deserve.

Your friends are idiots. There are plenty of single mothers who get tossed in jail for a variety of reasons. If you are sentenced to jail, your daughter will go to foster care, and the judge can have Child Services perform the test and collect the fee from you.

You have already lied to the judge, so he has no reason to be gentle with you.

You have a very good chance of being arrested and sent to jail, at best, you MAY be granted seven days to get the test, with the stipulation that you will serve time for contempt if you fail to do so. This way, there is no need to go back to court.

Your reasoning leaves out the child's right to have a father, and to have the financial support of a father. Since it's all about you, you can be jailed for contempt of court, and your kid might go into foster care. But since it's all about you, maybe that's best.

• Maxi

You disobeyed a COURT ORDER, it is not a request it is an order, your friends are telling you what they think you want to hear...so yes you could be arrested and could very well be put in jail to think about breaking a court order...there are many parents both male and femlale in jail..... so you best start being honest and when the judge asks you the reason tell the judge that you are concerned about the safety of the child as he is a drug taker and should only be supervised at a contact center.

The fact you don't want to, you are not together and you want to move on is totally irrelevant .he is the childs father, he has parental rights ( same as you) and it is not about you/him it is the right of the child to KNOW both parents...the time to make decisions was BEFORE you slept with him without using contraception...too late now