How to do a realistic painting?

Need some advice...thanks(:

Favorite Answer

persevere, keep putting in the details that you see, when I paint there's sort of phases when there's lots to do and when I cant see what to paint next and the temptation is to give up and say its finished but force yourself to paint on and just keep painting what you see and then you enter into a new phase of painting where you can see what to do next and it gets easy again, then you get stuck again, but keep persevering and it gets more and more refined until its nice and realistic and looks good enough to call it done...

Don't be afraid to make a few mistakes and to just roll with them. Realistically, life is messy, imperfect, and blended. You have to remember that not all lines are crisp, not all lighting is perfect, not all backgrounds are solid. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and roll with them.

• Mark

Practice drawing in pencil first.  Lots and lots of practice. Take note to yourself of colors of trees, people's clothes, buildings/houses, etc. Duplicate the colors on paper to prepare yourself for painting.

Source(s): My father is a painter/sculptor