In 2019, New York state governor Mario Cuomo signed into law a ban on?

single-use plastic shopping bags. The law also imposes a 5-cent fee on carryout paper bags. He claimed this move would be beneficial for the environment.

But, here's the thing. I and many other people reuse our plastic shopping bags for our trash*. So, not only will we be inconvenienced by having to bring our own reusable bags to go shopping (or face a backdoor tax), but we will now also have to PURCHASE trash bags.

So, how does this help the "environment"??

Is the law claiming that getting free plastic shopping bags that we use for our trash is bad for the "environment", but it's ok if we have to buy trash bags? This makes no sense.

I really hope a motion is filed in court to block this egregious law from going into effect. It's nonsensical and hurts working class people.

* In fact, on my way home from work last night, I noticed that most of the residential garbage cans that were left out for sanitation the next day contained plastic shopping bags filled with trash. This proves that people reuse their shopping bags. They don't throw them away or litter the streets with them.

Favorite Answer

Well, it is a different type of plastic.

But A lot of people do not reuse them - it just so happens I re-use them for garbage too, but I get sooooooo meany, a good portion does end up being total garbage.

HOWEVER - I do agree what REALLY needs to be done is use something other than plastic for both what you buy are what holds garbage - in the case of garbage, something strong, but at the same time breaks down quickly, and quickly renewable (perhaps paper made from hemp fiber? - just a quick thought..).

• Clive

Using bags for trash is not reusing them.

• Joe.R1 month agoReport

So, it's ok to BUY plastic bags for trash??

Mario Cuomo has been dead since 2015.

The rationale behind the law is that because the plastic bags are cheap and free, they end up discarded OUTSIDE of landfills. Plastic in landfills is not the problem. Lazy people just dispose of them anywhere. They have to be cleaned up and they end up in waterways and they harm wildlife.

There's some truth to that. I've seen plastic bags blowing loose, and I see them collecting up against treelines, from open spaces. I see them at times in the many small creekbeds and drainage dicthes that feed into the ponds and lakes and the river in this area.

It isn't about the landfills, at least not yet, or they would ban all plastic bags. The first bottle deposit laws came about because people were lazy, just like they are with their other trash. Now, years later, 5 cents is nothing to too many people. Empty containers are still being tossed along sides of roads. You might be surprised at how many people can't be bothered to take their empties to the store and get their deposit back, but put them in their recycling bin (in places that use them) or into their regular trash. Or just throw them out car windows, like they did when there was no deposit. That can run to $5 or more every month that they are just throwing away. I can see deposits being raised to 10 or 15 cents per container to make people who toss them to start to feel some pain.

• Tavy

Poor you, we have been using our own bags in the U.K. for at least 10 years, unlike you we care about the environment , single use bags never disintegrate, they end up in the ocean killing creatures.

Start a trend in your area, use your own bags. You can buy fold up ones that go in your purse.

• Joe.R1 month agoReport

Did you even read my whole post? Why do I feel like you didn't??

Whilst it is not settled science that global warming is caused by fossil fuels, it is absolutely indisputable that every single shred of plastic floating in the oceans is man made and so it is important to eliminate single use plastic whenever possible.  The free plastic shopping bags are one  of the worst offenders as they cannot be recycled. 

For garbage and recycling disposal, our building uses one huge plastic bag and everyone empties their rubbish into that and then reuses the their individual bag.  My dog pick ups have to be single use of course but I use biodegradable bags as there is no long term storage issue.  Ziplocks get washed out and  reused.

Next thing to tackle is the plastic drink bottles.  Why in the world do people (often the poorest) buy cases and cases of bottled water when it is the easiest thing in the world to refill a  bottle?   Saves money, saves carrying, saves storage, saves disposal.

• Maxi

The plastics industry have additional taxes imposed on them which is an environmental tax, so ANY you get has this tax imposed.in countries that have been doing exactly this for years the result is that there has been a huge reduction in plastics which is wrecking OUR world wide seas/oceans and reducing considerably the dump sites...so it works AND yes I used to use them for trash and picking up after my dog, so they were used at twice, now I use a recyle bag and the 'plastic' dog bags are disposable and degradable  'plastic' as are the trash bags....... so plastic carriers used twice or not are still dumped and still cause environmental issues....welcome to the real world where I live it is a decade ago this happened and yes people don't like change but it is not something that WE  can continue to do, if we want to be able to live in this world in a decade or a century..... America is one of the world worse contributors to waste and environmental concern, they bury their head in the sand, fingers in their ears and lalalalala thinking it is up to everyone else to save them, they do not live in isolation, America is not going to survive unless they wake up and stop pretending it isn't happening and doesn't matter....... Americans are more educated than that...........surely!.and shipping your trash to China is not helping, just moving it somewhere else, the world still suffers

(1)

Small pastic bags (SPB) are also used by people who walk thir dogs and need to collect their dog's waste.

There must be many other things that people do with SPB.

I think that CA has already done this and NY is following their lead.

(2)

On a large scale this initiative shall probably be good for the environment because there is a percentage of SPB that goes to landfills rather than being re-used.

So the question is at what cost to the consumer. This is where your input comes in.

• Fried Kitten

Whether you get a free bag with your groceries or you buy the bag, you are still consuming the same amount of bags on your dog-crap. I understand your personal financial argument since I live in NY and also I use free plastic bags for trash.. I was just commenting on the environmental impact.

I think it’s good to reduce our dependence on China who are paid to take the garbage and recycle it.

• Joe.R1 month agoReport

How does it reduce our dependence on China, if we still have to go out and PURCHASE plastic bags for our trash and other uses?? If anything, this will INCREASE littering (trash bags are bigger than shopping bags, and are seldom filled).