Can a gas bill be added two months after rental lease signing?

I currently live in the state of North Carolina. I moved from upstate Ny about two and a half months ago. The rental company we chose required that we send security deposit, first months rent, pay all additional fees, and sign the lease before I even got there. I was also told that I needed to have the utilities placed in my name a minimum of 3 days prior to move in. Which I did all of the above. I was told that I have to go through PWC which covers electric, water, and sewer services. I asked if there was gas at the residence... and I was told... there wasn't. Upon move in inspection walk through with an agent with the rental company, I noticed a gas water heater in the garage. Upon inquiring I was told it wasn't in my lease and not to be concerned. Two and a half months later I receive a call from the rental agency stating not only do I have an outstanding bill... but the landlord will be terminating the gas service that day. Can I fight this?

    

   

Of course you can fight it.  Tell him that "gas" is not in your lease and when you inquired, you were told no, there is no gas, and you have not been using it and you had no idea that it hooked up.  Get your money from the last tenant.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • LILL

If you lease states that all utilites are your responsibility, then the gas bill is on you....regardless of any verbal conformation from an agent. The lease is what rules in cases like this.

Do you have it in writing somewhere that you wouldn't be responsible for the gas?  This sounds like the kind of thing where nobody really thought about it and the real estate agent/ leasing agent just told you whatever to essentially kick the problem down the road (but would more or less deny saying this if directly asked ie "I don't recall that conversation").

I suggest you just pay the gas bill for when you were there.  Easier than fighting it and without some sort of proof (you recollection of a conversation for a few months ago isn't good enough) I don't think you'd win that fight anyhow.

• troy1 month agoReport

I agree. Thank u

it would be illegal for a landlord to turn off utilities (constructive eviction).

start with contacting the gas company and having the bill in your name if that only services your home...not worth not having hot water while you fight over this.  How do you get heat?

then ask for copies of the outstanding bill.  WRITE that you were misinformed and told you did not need gas service and will look into it.

is this a single family home?

you KNEW there was an error, you were told there was no gas service, but then saw that there was...you had the responsibility to follow up on that.

in court, if this is a single family home, a court would see the n/a as an obvious error and void the part of the lease that says no gas....and you would be responsible.

• troy1 month agoReport

Thank u.

Does not matter what you were told. What matters is what is in the lease. The agent being a moron does not get you out of paying what is stated in the lease.  "the lease states that I'm not responsible for gas... because there is no gas at the residents." By your other comments that is not entirely correct. "The lease says that I am responsible for all utilities w/o a designation. gas was designated as "N/A" and initialed by the landlord." Being marked as NA is NOT the same as stating you are not responsible. The agent is a moron & made a mistake but that does not get you out of paying for a service you use. You need to pay the gas bill. 

They are legally required to provide hot water so turning off the has to the water heater is illegal.  The only way to do anything about that is to sue them. 

Since your lease says "N/A" next to gas I think that you could have a argument with management and at least have them pay for the usage so far.  The agent should have said he/she would check.  All that said you used the gas therefore you must  get it in your name.

• troy1 month agoReport

I have... Thank u. I just don't like dealing with agencies that are less than professional.

Re-read the lease, what does the lease say...its all about the lease, not what you were told verbally during a walkthrough. 

Unless the lease states they are responsible for the gas payment, yes, it can, and yes, you owe the money.

Did you get anything in writing?

Does the lease mention specifically which bills you're responsible for?

• How do you get your hot water?  If  you are using an electric hot water heater  and  this  gas heater has nothing  to  do with you, explain that.  If  it  heats your hot water, pay up.

• Rick B

What does your lease say? It only counts if it is in writing.

• troy1 month agoReport

The lease says that I am responsible for all utilities w/o a designation. gas was designated as "N/A" and initialed by the landlord.