Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Can I appeal a decision to deny a burial in the National Cemetery more than a year after being denied if I retrieved the DD-214?

My dad was denied burial in the national cemetery more than a year ago because his DD-214 was stolen from his apartment and the military was unable to locate the record. I was able to retrieve it from the person who stole it, but the call had already been made to deny the burial. Now that I have his DD-214, is there any way I can get him a proper burial?

We couldn't afford a burial without the military's help, so he was cremated and the urn remains at home. I'd like to have his ashes interred.

You can get a copy of his dd214 submit a sf180 gooogle it and the. You can get him buried correct

Is he buried already? You want to dig him up and move him? That will all be at your expense. If he is not buried then where pray tell is the body? Best you can do is use the DD214 and apply for a headstone thru the VA. Talk to the undertaker who handled the burial.

• Jason

Your question is "can" you appeal -- yes, you can. What you actually want to know is: Will that be successful? That's really the question you're asking. It likely will not, but there isn't enough information to go on. The bar to being interred at a National Cemetery has risen considerably in the last decade. Simply being a veteran with a valid DD214 is no longer sufficient. His service history, decorations, length of service, etc. are all considered -- space is mighty limited and getting more so. 

Yep............

• Mrsjvb

not every Veteran or retiree is eligible for interment in the National Cemetery.. and in fact, they have pretty much run out of room anyway.  

you'd be far better off staying local and requesting internment in your local veteran's cemetery.  

• Rick B

You want to dig him up and move him???

Your dad is gone. There is nothing there but a shell in a box. Your dad does not care where his body is. Leave it alone and move on.

Pure unadulterated BALONEY.