Hot water but no heat?

My friend's house has a hydronic heating system that uses a boiler and indirect water heater. A few weeks ago, the air separator sprang a leak because of rot. She shut off the boiler and closed valves until it stopped pouring out water. I replaced the air separator and vent, opened the valves in a logical order, and got the boiler restarted. Since then, the heat has been wonky at best, but the hot water has been fine.

As far as I can tell, the entire house is a single heating zone (there's only one thermostat), but she has told me that the heat on the second floor has never worked; after the new air separator, when the heat has worked, the second floor has gotten unbearably warm. There is a Taco zone switching relay at the boiler with two LEDs–"Power" (red) and "Zone 1" (green)–the "Zone 1" LED has been off since the problem occurred; it was always on before. I haven't taken the time to trace all the wiring, but the relay is fed through a number of other sources, and seems to have a control circuit to the water heater (two small diameter wires).

The basis of my question is, what about changing the air separator could cause the heating system to fail? I assume air in the system, and I haven't pulled open the baseboards to see if there's a way to bleed them, but why would it work sometimes? (It seemed to work when she decided to set the boiler temp to 220º) The plumbing in this house is a mess, and I've opened every valve that I thought might release trapped air.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Did you properly burp the system to get out any air pockets that may have occurred when the air separator failed

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.