Is it weird to attend a funeral of a friends relative/family member you didn’t know personally? ?

One of my friends Dad recently passed away but I didn’t know him personally and I attended his funeral this morning and then the wake afterwards, I only went for my friend for moral support. I only just lost my Mum back in August last year so I completely understood what my friend is going through, losing a loved one especially a parent is extremely hard no matter how old you are; i’m still grieving over losing my Mum, I don’t think you ever really get over it .

i dont think so

No, you are going to support your friend, perfectly normal.

• Jerry

Your friend is grieving the loss of his father. Whether or not you knew his father, you attend the funeral to show respect for your friend and his grief. 

Not weird at all. You were there for your friend and that's really good. Just because you didn't actually know her dad personally, he meant a lot to her - as did your mum to you, and the two of you being in the same emotional situation probably helped her a great deal because you are a person who understood what she was going through and she understands what you are going through. Well done you. Time is a great healer. It's all too early for both of you at the moment but at least you can lean on each other. You have a wise head on young shoulders and are very empathetic.

Not at all. I have been to a few funerals. One of the functions of a funeral is to demonstrate your support, in difficult times, for those survivors who you do know.