Can my new IP be banned if used from the same computer which had a previous IP block?

My previous IP was blocked on a website, now that I have changed addresses, will my IP change so I am able to access that site although I will be using the same computers/devices to access it?

5 Answers

  • Adrian
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    They can identify your machine without IP addresses. Web sites can run scripts and check previous cookies on your machine. Scripts can report things like your hardware back to the web site, including HDD serial numbers (as an example). That can identify you as a return user, and get banned again.

    Using a VPN or proxy does not help either. Using a different computer with a different public IP address will usually work, as everything is "new" to the web site.You cannot just "change" your public IP unless you have changed providers....

  • BigE
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    How did you change the address?  There are 2 ips associated with your connection (most likely), a private and a public.  Your public is what the is seen, the private is only for your own home network.  If you go to google and type in "what is my ip", it will tell your public ip.   It can be hard to change your public ip because of how DHCP works.

  • keerok
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    Websites don't block individual computer IPs. They block the whole ISP that caters to that offending subscriber. To work around your block, you either switch ISPs or use an internet proxy (VPN).

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    Yes, quite possibly.

    So-called "IP bans" are very rarely based on literal IP addresses, as most IP addresses are dynamic and change at times.

    Sites use many other techniques to ban users who break the rules.

    And note that breaking the rules on any website is a criminal offence under the Computer Fraud and Abuse act  / Computer Misuse Act & similar, depending what part of the world you are in.

    If you do not agree with the rules on a site, go elsewhere!

    Re. comment:

    No; I'm a web site programmer and administrator on a couple of sites. 

    One of them uses four simultaneous ban techniques.

    The laws relate to unauthorised access.

    If you do anything at all the site owner says you should not do - guess what, that means you do not have authorisation to do it...

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

    No, you need a new computer or use a proxy. It's not where you live, the IP address is the computer and wherever it's moved to it stays the same.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.