Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Why is my adult stepdaughter always competing with me with her father for attention?

She is an adult and should look to manage her own expenses. She dropped out of college and now suddenly wants her dad to fund her education just because I'm training myself to become a counselor. 

She wants a new car because her father gifted me one.

When i try to reason, she lashes at me telling that she is two years older than me and not come in between. I met her father years after he divorced her mom.

Her dad hates it but he doesn't want to be labelled as a bad father after the arrival of the stepmom.

In fact she hasn't even called me "mom" even once . 

Because her father destroyed her life by imploding her family then marrying someone younger than herself. It would be a miracle if she WEREN'T resentful af toward the both of you. Your husband tolerates if out of guilt because he knows he's done serious damage to someone who should have been the most important person in his life. And no, she's never going to call you "Mom" because she's already GOT a mom.

Why would she call you "mom"? She HAS a Mom. I've been a stepmother for 32 years and my stepsons have never called me "Mom". The grandkids know me as a grandmother though. That was well earned.

Well, maybe it's not all about ages. Or competition. Maybe it's because he's her Dad and he has money. That's reason enough for most folks.

"In fact she hasn't even called me "mom" even once"

Your question was believable up until this point.  I like to think there's not a sane woman on the planet who would expect a stepdaughter to call her "mom".  On the offchance this is true, why on earth would you think she'd do this?  She has a mom, and it's not you.  Maybe you need to rethink that career goal of being a counselor.  This is astoundingly unaware on your part.

On the rest, you can blame her all you want, but the truth is, you and your husband clearly never got on the same page about how finances will be handled in your marriage.  That's not on your stepdaughter, now is it?  Again, that counseling thing is looking worse by the minute!  Maybe you should open a bakery.

u no women are catty as hel-o..what do u expect from a immature hellion..UR hubs raised her!

Because her father spoiled her and being close in age with you has a lot to do with this as well. Its also possible she is bitter about the divorce, so she takes it out on you.

Dump your husband . Then he will act properly bc he feels you are more important than his adult daughter.

...... and you're training to become a counselor? Has it started yet?

Trolls used to at least make an effort